Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tires = new bumper?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" tires = new bumper?

would i need to get a new bumper if i was gonna get a 4" lift with 37" tires?? i have a 2 door 6 spd x
Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stevenisthug
would i need to get a new bumper if i was gonna get a 4" lift with 37" tires?? i have a 2 door 6 spd x
No. But I suggest getting some upgraded Axles with 37"s. 2" more lift would help, as rubbing will occur with your set-up.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 AM
JK Newbie

well maybe a 2 inch lift would be more... well "economical"... what size tires can i fit on a 2 inch lift? 35 right?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Former Vendor

We have a 3" lift on our shop JK (4 door) with 37"s. Some trimming of plasic is involved but nothing big. Most of our trimming is due to having 5" (lift) links pushing the axles forward-back. We cut the rear bumper ends, then found it looked better without a bumper (after it got smashed) until our prototype comes in.

I don't know for sure but with a 4" lift I'd say you'd be pretty reasonable for 37"s .....I'd go for it, but trimming plastic doesn't hurt my feelings.

Nick
Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

IM HERE....

haha yea you can fit it.. youll need to do some trimming to the rear wheel wheels and remove your airdam. and you should be ok. i changed my bumper after a deer stole it lol.

i have 4" super lift and 37 boggers

i have rubbed on hard wheeling days but nothing to bad, i dont have as much flex but i think the way it looks makes up for that

what axles do you have??

also you can make a stubby
Old 06-28-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ruskin
Not trying to hi-jack just covering the bases, but if he's getting 37" & a 4" lift doesn't he also need to get new drive shafts?

SLICKWILL, are you running stock dana 30? If so, what's your thoughts so far?
HEY I HAVE STOCK SHAFTS i want to replace them but it rides fine.
ive broken the dana 30 it twice once while stock wheeling. and the second time i was stupid while driving in 4wd in the rain
Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ruskin
Not trying to hi-jack just covering the bases, but if he's getting 37" & a 4" lift doesn't he also need to get new drive shafts?

SLICKWILL, are you running stock dana 30? If so, what's your thoughts so far?
You don't need new drive shafts on a 4 inch lift, depending on the amount of travel that you get out of it. You can always limit or increase travel, keeping the drive shafts in check.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkDigler
You don't need new drive shafts on a 4 inch lift, depending on the amount of travel that you get out of it. You can always limit or increase travel, keeping the drive shafts in check.
You should be replacing shafts on a 4", I have an unlimited, my rear is fine, but the front is another story. I am rubbing on the front cross member (a little grove in the shaft), and the angle the boot is in is begging for a tear. I will be replacing mine soon.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

I catch my front bumper on mine after my spring settled that is not flex out either just the movement of going backward at full lock will rub it either way only in the front it could also be that the front axle is move farward alittle with ajustable control arms the air dam gets tire lovin to I think I am going to put 2" spacers up front to level it out some then I would need a new shaft.

Quick Reply: 37" tires = new bumper?