Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 37" tyre to pick??

Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which 37" tyre to pick??

Hi everyone!

I'm picking up some new diffs tomorrow and soon to be upgrading to 37" tyres from my 35" Federals.

I've got 4x Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlars 37x12.50 sitting in my shed, but they're about 40% tread so I'm looking to get a fresh set.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Hankook Dynapro MT?
Or should I stick with the MTRs?
Any other suggestions to look into?

I'd love to get Nittos but they're not readily available in Australia...

Cheers!
Aaron
Old 05-24-2017, 03:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mtr's suck .. check out the new Nitto Trail Grapplers great tire.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Mtr's suck .. check out the new Nitto Trail Grapplers great tire.
Do you not have MTRs?

Also, as in my original post, I can't get Nittos.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Toyos out as an option as well due to availability? Guessing that since sister company with Nitto it's the same issue. Haven't seen anyone running a Hankook Dynapro MT in this area. One thing that stands out about that tire is lack of any significant shoulder lug. Guess depends on personal wheelin style, but I always find some sort of shoulder lug helpful.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Can you get COOPER tires??.. Have a lot of guys in the club running the new SST Pro and love them.. pretty aggressive tread.. hear they are good all around mud, sand, dirt, rocks, and road...
Old 05-24-2017, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running the STT Pro in a 37, love them so far. Not too loud on the road, no wandering. I will probably be sticking with these from now on.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

What are your goals you're trying to achieve?

There isn't a tire that is great in all categories, so you're always going to sacrafice something to gain in another. Are you looking for something that is good all around or are you looking for something with better offroad traction and willing to sacrafice for onroad performance to get it or vise versa?

For example, when you start talking MTRs what you're kind of saying is that you want good offroad traction in mud and rocks, but willing to sacrafice and accept louder onroad highway noise, shorter onroad wear and poor perforance in snow/ice conditions.

Once, you provide those kind of details then you'll likely to get more focused recommendations that will fit what you're trying to achieve and hopefully available in Australia as well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-24-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Talk to your local shops and give us a better list of which brands/tires you can actually get.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
For example, when you start talking MTRs .....and poor perforance in snow/ice conditions.
This comment literally mad me laugh out loud. I've gone through a pretty decent selection of tires on my Jeep and other vehicles. I would put the MTR up against any other radial tire on the market in snow and ice. It's all about the correct pressure for the conditions. The only other radial I'd compare to the MTR in those conditions are the new Cooper SST Pro or the Trxus MT's.

The one knock I do have against the MTR is they do get loud.... but, they are on a jeep, that rarely has a top or full doors on it so I don't really care.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies!!

My options for 37" tyres pretty much are;

Hankook Dynapro MT
Goodyear Wrangler MT
BFG KM2 (I don't want these as they measure small and I've seen them have chunks out quite easily)
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
Mickey Thompson MTZ
Mickey Thompson Claws
Mickey Thompson Deegan 38

Toyo - unavailable
Nitto - unavailable
Cooper STT Pro - love the look of these, but only available in 13.50 wide for the 37", which is much too wide for Australian laws...

As for the use, I daily drive 80km (50 miles), but don't mind highway noise (I've had federals for 2 years! lol)
I've considered getting all terrains as obviously I do a lot more on-road driving, but I love having muddies too much for the look and the usability offroad, I'm willing to sacrifice tyre mileage for that. **EDIT** There's no snow!!

At this point I think I will put on the 4x goodyears I have that are 40-50% tread and try and find a cheap spare. Then when they wear out I may even try and get some Nittos imported, or at least have experience with the goodyears to decide if I want to continue using them

Quick Reply: Which 37" tyre to pick??