JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/37s-d30-mythbusters-wanna-know-182211/)

SilverJK12 02-04-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by wayoflife
maybe what we really need to do is put thing into its proper context. a lot of the trails people run across the country are relatively short and maybe have a couple of obstacles along the way that'll really put your rig to the test. now, those are all legitimate, good and fun trails but, when you start playing on trails that are almost 15 miles long like fordyce creek, 20 miles long like the rubicon or over 30 miles long like the dusy ershim and virtually all those miles being technical and challenging (obstacle after obstacle after obstacle), you start to see how quickly things can fail. sure, sometimes it's driver error but, when you're on a trail that hard for that long, it's hard not to get fatigued metally and physically and make mistakes regardless of how careful you normally are. of course, there are also really short trails like carnage canyon BV or any of the hammer trails where most are maybe a mile long at best but, nasty and stupid technical the whole way up. if people really think that running 37's on a dana 30 will hold their own out on any of these trails, i invite you to come out and wheel with me - i wanna see it done. my only criteria would be that if something does break, you need to have the know how, the tools and the ability to fix it yourself.

BTW, here's a link to a run that mmccurdy did with MBAFT a few years back on the rubicon and took out both his dana 30 axle shafts while running 35's. granted, the rubicon is a tough trail dry but, when they were on it, rain made it muddy and slick making things that much harder. now, i know mmccurdy personally and he's a good, cautious driver and still, was able to break his axle in spite of the fact that his diff was open.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ccurdy+rubicon

I agree completely. Very well said

TexsDream77 02-06-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by shotwell (Post 2831392)
I`m currently running a locked 30 with 35s.I have gusseted the Cs.I`m fairly conservative,carry extra axles,and am sliding in sleeves next week.My personal opinion is I wanna stay with stock axles,as I want to keep the damage outside the diff,hopefully the u-joint is the weakest link.I`ve been very lucky so far, and havent broke anything.I know one day my luck will run out...lol.I can be up and running in a hour with a u-joint,a ring gear not so much.I definitely don`t want anybodys day being shot because of my heap breaking,so it helps to be easy on the skinny.I`ve been weighing the idea of 37s,but the lock-right would come out.I`d love me some 37s,but I really don`t want to raise the breaking factor any farther...lol

I broke 4 R&P sets to 2 axle shafts on a D-30 in about 24 months time. If you have a D-30 with either 4.88's or 5.13's you only have 1 tooth of contact on the ring gear. Doesn't get any better untill 4.56 and that's only barely a tooth and a half. The R&P is your weakest link in the 30 in my opinion.

chknkatsu 02-06-2012 06:55 PM

this thread is stupid. there are obviously people out there who have wheeled with 37's on their d30 and havent broken a thing. there are people out there with d44's that wheel with 35's and break things left and right. i dont understand why everyone is going ape shit for. is this thread supposed to confirm that the people who break d30's on 37's are lying?:thinking:

TexsDream77 02-06-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 2830828)

well, you're local to me so let's make it happen

sorry.... hijack

Just throwing this out there Wayoflife. If you ever make it out this way (New England), let me know and I and a few of my friends will get you into some of the best wheeling we have here in New England. I'm sure you saw the Ultimate Adventure on the east coast. First wheeling day is one of our properties. Easy trails there are like Jeep Jamboree 8-9 with 4 higher level trails than that. Our club mostly runs the moderate trails which have "More Difficult" options. The group that went through t here from UA did theModerate, More Difficult and Hard trails. To the best of my knowledge they did not attempt the exteme corner of the property. There are pics from my clubs outtings on my Facebook page from last year Nov 11 and May 11. Always good times!

Sorry locals, private property for NEA4WD members only

cis911 03-18-2012 05:08 AM

my type of wheeling are trails like the ones you see in big bear and corral canyon, i have ran most of them at least twice. now that being said i consider myself a very careful wheeler. i have had 37s on D30 for almost 1.5yrs i have broken a ujoint and my inner axle seals went out on me. im pretty sure the bad seals werent due to 37s. and yes i think running 37s makes some trails a whole lot easier. i wheel the most 2 times a month.

i just moved to north carolina and i miss all those bad ass trails. i ordered my c gussets last week so i can have some peace of mind lol