Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...

So I have seen lots of profiles showing 37" tires on stock D30's out there with no actual problems, but plenty of people saying it's a doomed setup. Can anyone show me the results of what occurs when this setup fails(and the circumstances that lead to the demise). I think there are plenty of people that can look themself in the mirror and admit that they aren't going to be going to Moab any time soon, (probably lucky to get on a dirt road once a month if they are completely honest). I would be very interested in knowing HOW doomed the setup is, or if it is just doomed because of how it's treated, (I can see needing more support and rigidity if it's going to get banged on), but if it's not going to see much action what will happen?....I'm more interested in real problems that have occured, not a theory of what could happen. Thank you for participation.....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Too many variables involved. Lots of people are running 37's with no issues, and others are bending or breaking things running completely stock. C's, axle shafts, ujoints, gears, housings, whatever. As you go to larger and larger tires, the likelihood of an issue rises, just a roll of the dice.

But, you wanted a pic and not theory, so here ya go...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...on-please-help!!!!

Note that this guy was stock, on stock 32's, driving on the street. (and yes I realize that this situation is not common by any means, but ya know.)

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-13-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, but it's not really what I was looking for. My question is what will actually happen to the D30 when it is equipped with 37" tires. A lot of the talk I see on the subject involves what "could happen", I'm trying to find examples of what has "actually happened". I think i will find examples of what has happened when someone beat on a D30 w/37's, but I'm wondering if there are any examples of "normal driving" still resulting in failures.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I am going to have to say no you won't have problems at all. Driving the jeep as a road master and slight off road will not cause harm. My two cents.

FYI I am running 35s and going 37s. I am interested in actual issues too though. Subscribed!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

I'm also interested. I'm planning on going to 37s within a couple months and have a D30. Based on what I've heard about "what could happen", I'm going to beef it up just to make sure. *Subscribed*
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dana 30 with 37" shoes. Failure could happen with any size tire as noted. Wheel hop with a spinning tire can cause troubles. Also, slamming into a rock, wheels turned, trying to turn out from the rock. It'd be more about the driver and the actions taken, not the tire size. Dana 30s are not super strong. The tubes and outers are the same for the front Dana 44. There is no magic size tire to say you will destroy the Dana 30. It's all about what the one behind the wheel does with the rig.

Bob K.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nwbronco
I have a Dana 30 with 37" shoes. Failure could happen with any size tire as noted. Wheel hop with a spinning tire can cause troubles. Also, slamming into a rock, wheels turned, trying to turn out from the rock. It'd be more about the driver and the actions taken, not the tire size. Dana 30s are not super strong. The tubes and outers are the same for the front Dana 44. There is no magic size tire to say you will destroy the Dana 30. It's all about what the one behind the wheel does with the rig.

Bob K.
Well said. I was hoping to hear from people like yourself that are running this combination.

Bob, have you done anything to your front axle, or are you running it the way it came? ** Edit** i just noticed your signature, you have a Rubi

Last edited by yrubuggin; 06-13-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been takin' it a little easy on the dana 30 right now. Still open. I have ARB, 5.13s, inner sleeves and gussets, along with chromoly axles to go in it. I have been and made trails that others only watched. Tillamook State Forest has mild to wild. I can run the mild right now.

I have run it like it is for over a year and a half. Have been on plenty of trails with it. Managed to bend a tie rod at Tahuya. Got pics of all of it around here somewhere. Check put trails and tales, Northwest.

Red Rock Unlimited with half doors
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...his-wknd/page5

The trail ride report

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...orest-04-03-11

A little beach and rocks action in Long Beach Washington...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-and-Beach-Run

And a nice Tillamook run. My and my Northwest friends wheelin. And me on my 37's...you'll see the wife driving in a few shots. She has her own JKU now....it's the 11 Ruby. Mine is the'07 X

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Saturday/page5

Bob K.

Last edited by nwbronco; 06-13-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the pictures Bob (I'm totally jealous of those half doors)...

So far I score it as....Myth=0 / Myth Busted=1

Any one else want to chime in?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

38's on a dana30 w C's light offroad no issues..

Quick Reply: 37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...