Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37x12.5x17 which tires?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 37x12.5x17 which tires?

First off, my new AEV 4.5 lift just arrived along with my Teraflex HD tire carrier and AFE Y pipe and loop delete kit for my sliver 2012 JKU. I'm ordering a set of AEV argent pintlers next week.
Question is which 37x12.5x17 tire would be best for MY needs. Most of my offroading is done on the beach or power lines and rock crawling is hard to come by here in MASS. I'm looking at Goodyear mtr/k's, Nitto trails, Hankook dynapro mt's and Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's. Which tire will perform the best ON road during rain/snow/ice conditions. I know all of these will work great for my limited Offroad needs, it's the on road during winter and rain I'm concerned about(especially when my daughter is in the back!).

I know an all terrain would work the best for me but I think most 37" all terrain tires on lifted 4 doors just don't look right.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Goodyear mtr Kevlar 37s and I think they are a great tire. I've been running them for 6 years. They are quiet on road ( for mud terrain) and do great on snow ice mud sand rock and whatever else. They seem to wear good. I've heard of people having issues balancing these but has not been the case for mine. Post pictures before and afters of your jeep once the goodies are on.
Good luck with your build.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks roscoj. The Goodyears have always been on the top of my list. I've heard some guys say they were super sketchy on icy roads? I do want a true to size 37" tire too.
What's your actual mounted diameter?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troyoffroad
First off, my new AEV 4.5 lift just arrived along with my Teraflex HD tire carrier and AFE Y pipe and loop delete kit for my sliver 2012 JKU. I'm ordering a set of AEV argent pintlers next week.
Question is which 37x12.5x17 tire would be best for MY needs. Most of my offroading is done on the beach or power lines and rock crawling is hard to come by here in MASS. I'm looking at Goodyear mtr/k's, Nitto trails, Hankook dynapro mt's and Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's. Which tire will perform the best ON road during rain/snow/ice conditions. I know all of these will work great for my limited Offroad needs, it's the on road during winter and rain I'm concerned about(especially when my daughter is in the back!).

I know an all terrain would work the best for me but I think most 37" all terrain tires on lifted 4 doors just don't look right.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...x4-tire-guide/

Go there.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Already "gone there". Im looking for real world feedback
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troyoffroad
Already "gone there". Im looking for real world feedback
Cool. I tend to go with professional opinions when it comes to my kids safety, but I guess asking for random opinions online is another way as well.

I really wish Duratracs came in 37s.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Look back at what you said your primary needs were- on road manners for the safety of your child. A mud tire will not give you those on road manners like an all terrain tires. I think your choice is clear. I've also read different places where the mtrk's and nitto's can be sketchy on ice simply due to a lack of siping.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure you're going to find any tire in a 37" that's gonna be good in snowy / icey conditions. I run Pitbull Rockers all winter and they are great in deep snow and snow covered roads but when roads get icey you have to be careful. If you are really concerned about winter weather you could step back to a 35" Duratrac that is winter rated.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

The tight inner lugs on the MTR/K's seem to have decent siping to help. And the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's look similar to the Duratracs. I know all about tighter/smaller lugs and more siping offer better traction in wet/icy conditions, I just think all terrains in a 37" size on a JK look strange. My wife has an Audi Quattro so we'll be using that a lot when it's crappy out.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

I currently have mtrk's and we got a bit of snow this week so I finally could test them in slippery stuff. They do okay for a mud tire. In 4wheel I had zero issues. I personally think the Toyo mt was a better tire in this weather but just barely.

Mtrk is great off-road.

I am one of the ones that has issues with balancing. My wife wouldn't even drive the jeep for a while. I have had them try to balance them more than 6 times now and its like starting over every time I rotate the tires. I am really disappointed and am. Stuck with them for a long time.

Quick Reply: 37x12.5x17 which tires?