Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4-door, or 2-door?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-door, or 2-door?

I purchased my new Rubicon Unlimited to build in Off-Road magazine with the hope that I could interest a few of my family members to come along on off-road trips after the Jeep was finished. My new white Rubicon arrived, with no paint problems, doors that fit, and a Freedom Top that doesn't leak. It has 607 miles on it and I'm ready to start on the project when I find that the family could care less and won't be going off-road with me. At all. To them, off-roading is work as that's what they've watched me do since they were born. My wife has always said, "Go ahead honey, I'll stay home."

If I'm going by myself, I'd just as soon have a two-door Rubicon. I want some opinions - should I go ahead and build the Wrangler Unlimited, or sell it and get a Wrangler? I've actually found a black Rubicon that will work. What would you do . . . ?

By the way, the buildup will include a 6.1 Hemi, 5-45rfe automatic, 4" suspension, Superior axles and gears, Mopar/Hutchinson beadlocks, and 37" Interco TrXus sticky tires.

I've posted this on my two favorite JK forums for more input.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

IMO, keep the Unlimited. It has been said "It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." I think that the extra room that the Unlimited has would be nice even if no body is sitting in the seats with you.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Keep your unlimited.

You will be really glad you have the extra space. And if you start taking the really tough trails, you'll notice many people stretch their wheel bases to give themselve an advantage - something you get out-of-the-box with the unlimited.

Last of all, maybe your family won't join you this year, but that extra seat is a space just waiting for some co-worker or friend that you can introduce to 4-wheeling
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Phil Howell
I purchased my new Rubicon Unlimited to build in Off-Road magazine with the hope that I could interest a few of my family members to come along on off-road trips after the Jeep was finished. My new white Rubicon arrived, with no paint problems, doors that fit, and a Freedom Top that doesn't leak. It has 607 miles on it and I'm ready to start on the project when I find that the family could care less and won't be going off-road with me. At all. To them, off-roading is work as that's what they've watched me do since they were born. My wife has always said, "Go ahead honey, I'll stay home."

If I'm going by myself, I'd just as soon have a two-door Rubicon. I want some opinions - should I go ahead and build the Wrangler Unlimited, or sell it and get a Wrangler? I've actually found a black Rubicon that will work. What would you do . . . ?

By the way, the buildup will include a 6.1 Hemi, 5-45rfe automatic, 4" suspension, Superior axles and gears, Mopar/Hutchinson beadlocks, and 37" Interco TrXus sticky tires.

I've posted this on my two favorite JK forums for more input.
Whatever you do for a living... are you hireing? lol
Old 12-26-2006, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ericdewayne
Whatever you do for a living... are you hiring? lol

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of Off-Road magazine. We're fully staffed, but I'll keep you in mind . . .
Old 12-26-2006, 10:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say, keep your 4 door and build my 2dr!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Ha!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Hmmm. Uh, well . . .

No.

Thanks for the offer, though.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

I'd really rather see the 2dr build up with similar mods, but not if it would cause you to take a hit in the wallet. A buddy and co-worker would fit in the 2dr but may be more confortable in what you've got now.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Default Keep it

Phil-
I'd keep the Unlimited. With all respect to my 2 dr bretheren- There's no substitute for room, better ride with the longer wheelbase and the world needs another Unlimited Hemi with a 4 in. lift. Good luck and be sure to post the pics of your choice when it's done

Quick Reply: 4-door, or 2-door?