Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" Lift

Old 01-31-2017, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Lift

New to the Jeep world and I'm looking for the right lift for my new Rubicon. It's a 2017 2 door with manual transmission. I've been looking at the Icon 4.5" and the Teraflex 4". I know that with both I'll have to change the front driveshaft and I'm going to add a steering stabilizer. I'm going to run 20x12 wheels with -44 offset and 4.77 backspacing with 35x12.50 Toyo Open Country MT's.

This is what I've been looking at

Driveshaft
ADAMS DRIVESHAFT JK FRONT 1310 CV DRIVESHAFT SPICER SOLID [EXTREME DUTY SERIES] - Adams Driveshaft and Off Road

Icon 4.5"
2007-UP Jeep JK 4.5" Suspension System - Stage 2 | K24002

Teraflex 4"
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72d9e

Any advise on what I should go with even if it's not what I have here is appreciated. Anything else that I need to get to go along with it? I want the ground clearance of the 4". I will drive it on the road a good bit but I will be playing and hunting in it too so I want a lift that will be good for highway and offroad.

Again thanks in advance for all the help! Glad to finally be a part of the Jeep family!!!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 2.5" lift and you will have a much cheaper run at this whole thing. 4" is enough to fit 37s or larger.

To run 35s you don't need a lift at all.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
Get a 2.5" lift and you will have a much cheaper run at this whole thing. 4" is enough to fit 37s or larger. To run 35s you don't need a lift at all.
I'm wanting the ground clearance
Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The icon kit includes high steer so that is a bonus over the teraflex. I prefer adjustable joints on all the arms but that may not be important to you and if you don't ever mess with the suspension you should be able to correctly set up the geometry. 2" is enough lift for 35's and 12" wide wheels are a bit wide for a 12.5" tire, makes it easy to loose the bead when aired down if you ever do take it off road. 9" wide wheels are more common and 4.5" bs for 35x12.5" tire.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You don't need to add a steering stabilizer either. Waste of money for the "upgrade" If you have things set up properly your factory one is fine and really is not needed.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Dirtman, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that about the steering stabilizer, definitely won't buy anything I don't need and I'll look into some 20x10's I'm wanting a nice lip on the wheels but you're right, the 12's are definitely too wide. So you think the icon is a good solid kit? That and the driveshaft should be all I need right?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You don't need to add a steering stabilizer either. Waste of money for the "upgrade" If you have things set up properly your factory one is fine and really is not needed.
Great writeup in the stickies on lifts too btw! I know everyone see's this same post all the time about lifts but when I searched I didn't see anything on the icon lift.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

At that height you will need the front driveshaft for sure now and will need a rear at some point. Icon is not a popular kit and to tell you the truth I have never seen anyone with it. It seems pricey as well. There are many kits for the JK that personally I think are better and cost less but if the icon is on your short list is looks like it will do the job. There is a red link in my signature that will give you some more perspective on lifts.
Good luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
At that height you will need the front driveshaft for sure now and will need a rear at some point. Icon is not a popular kit and to tell you the truth I have never seen anyone with it. It seems pricey as well. There are many kits for the JK that personally I think are better and cost less but if the icon is on your short list is looks like it will do the job. There is a red link in my signature that will give you some more perspective on lifts. Good luck.
Thanks again! I'm not dead set on the icon, just never lifted a jeep before and I know they make good lifts for 3/4 ton trucks. I'm gonna check out that link now.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my personal experience I would not put a 4" lift on a 2 door to run 35" tires. Every inch you lift adds complications. More parts required, more expense, more maintenance, and more issues. Think long and hard about that because it's true. Plus higher center of gravity from high lifts makes handling worse on and off road.

Guys put 4" lift on 4 doors because the longer wheelbase gets high centered easier than the 2 door. A 2 door on 2.5" lift and 35" tires is about as capable as a 4 door on 4" lift and 37's. And the 2 door will need less parts and maintenance.

More lift does not equal better!

Quick Reply: 4" Lift