Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" lift, and 35's question

Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" lift, and 35's question

I bought my Jeep already lifted with 35's on it . It seems to lag power . Different people have said to regear, super chip it or drop tire size down.

My question is which options of these would be the best option and beneficial ? This is my DD , and I have only trailed it on ranches , not interested in rock climbing etc..

Thanks in in advance for any help ☺️
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Re-gear it is the best option
Tires are going to cost you just as much
You will need a procal or programmer to change gear ratio and tire size when done so you will need this anyway.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Re-gear is going to be the proper thing to do if you want to continue running 35s. You're probably looking in the $1500 +/- range to regear. Any tune/chip in and of itself isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

I would note that the first thing you should do is determine what gearing you have currently if you don't already know. I'd guess you most likely have 3.21, possibly 3.73.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-01-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Which engine? Which Transmission? What gears are installed?

The computer is not programmed now, correct? So it thinks you still have 29" or 32" tires?

A programmer or tuner will adjust the tire size, and for auto's, the shift points. A tuner will give a small of amount of HP/Torque, which you may or may not feel in the seat of the pants. As the others mentioned, gears should bring you back up into a much better rpm range, and give the best overall performance. What ratio is right will depend on engine/transmission/use/etc.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-01-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with the programmer to make sure the computer knows what is going on and the tranny is shifting right. Should see some improvement and depending on how far off you were. The gas mileage will improve due to the speedo reading right again. Having the speedo corrected helps because now if you were reading 65mph on the dash and were really doing 73mph the whole time. You may not be missing out on as much power as thought before.
I rant, I apologize. After that gearing is always a drastic change. If you have the Pentastar with 3.73 gears or higher you should be fine running 35's.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

With 35s, your speedo is probably off 5mph give or take at highway speeds. A programmer will allow you to adjust tire size and get that speedo calibrated, hence also correcting your computer's fuel economy, but it's not going to make a huge difference in power. If you jeep feels like a turd, and you want to keep 35" or larger tires, the only REAL solution is to regear. That said, if you regear, you're going to need a programmer anyhow. Welcome to the Jeep life.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re gearing is the way to go. When you have bigger tires your jeep has to work harder to push all that extra weight. if you gear it properly, then some of your power will come back. Also, like the other guys said, go get your computer set up for bigger tires. Remember, jeeps are not race cars, they are big, bulky and ready to **** shit up. lol

Quick Reply: 4" lift, and 35's question