Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" Lift - recommendations for Drive Shafts

Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Lift - recommendations for Drive Shafts

So, for those of you that have (or will have) 4" lifts - what drive shafts do you recommend?

thanks,
JS
Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jsherman
So, for those of you that have (or will have) 4" lifts - what drive shafts do you recommend?

thanks,
JS
On an Unlimited, you don't need new ones, not right away anyway. The stocks will work fine unless you are planning to go really hard in the rocks. Now, if you just want to change them, i think most are using JE Reel, but I would get Tom Woods myself. I've spent some money with TW on some custom shafts andthey are well worth it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tom woods and je reel are not far apart in price either. TW shaft on my cj was cheaper then what the local shop charged
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
On an Unlimited, you don't need new ones, not right away anyway. The stocks will work fine unless you are planning to go really hard in the rocks. Now, if you just want to change them, i think most are using JE Reel, but I would get Tom Woods myself. I've spent some money with TW on some custom shafts andthey are well worth it.
What about the 2dr's?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
What about the 2dr's?

Don't quote me, but I think anything over a 3" on the 2-door, you will probably need new shafts. That's the concensus that I've gotten from what I've read on here.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

on a 2 door, get a 1350 for the rear and a 1310 for the front. you don't need a 1350 for the front, and a 1310 will give you more room to move vertically with the smaller knuckle.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'm running the JE Reel 1350's front and rear on my 2 door, no problems at all..

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
Don't quote me, but I think anything over a 3" on the 2-door, you will probably need new shafts. That's the concensus that I've gotten from what I've read on here.
Your right., but it wont be long until something happens//

I got about 7,000 out of my rear shaft before it exploded... check out my link for JE Reel.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

what was your reasoning for choosing a 1350 over a 1310 for the front drive shaft?

didn't the 1350 seem like a bit of a tight fit with the angle, or was it not a concern or not seem excessive?

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I'm running the JE Reel 1350's front and rear on my 2 door, no problems at all..

Your right., but it wont be long until something happens//

I got about 7,000 out of my rear shaft before it exploded... check out my link for JE Reel.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
what was your reasoning for choosing a 1350 over a 1310 for the front drive shaft?

didn't the 1350 seem like a bit of a tight fit with the angle, or was it not a concern or not seem excessive?
I'm only running 35's now, I figured stronger the U-joints the better when I upgrade to 37's and even bigger someday.

I'm not sure where everyones getting the tight fit from? theres plenty of room. its the same driveshaft, just bigger U-joints if I'm not mistaken... I've been wrong before. I'll do some checking and report back.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

yes, the u-joint is bigger, making it a tighter fit at that u-joint - less room (tighter) in the vertical angle at that joint.

maybe i'm just overthinking this. i'm getting ready to put a 1310 up front and a 1350 rear. i'm just waiting on them to get here.

is that a bend in your control arm?

Quick Reply: 4" Lift - recommendations for Drive Shafts