Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40x13.5?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40x13.5?

Ok so i have the option to pick up a set of brand new pro comp x terrains in a 40x13.5x20 for an EXTREMELY good deal. the thing is its only a 40x13.5 i cant get any wider than that. I have 37x13.5 now and they are plenty wide, my problem is, if i go to 40s the 13.5 seems like it may be to skinny for such a large tire. I saw them in the store and they look great, i am just worried i may not like them after i mount them.

What do you guys think? Is 40x13.5x20 gonna look stupid? Or am i retarded for not have already mounting them?

I cherish your opinions... Should i or shouldnt i

Discuss....
Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Do you have enough lift to run them already?

If so, get 'em.

If not, can you afford the added expense? If so, jump on in.

If you can't afford more than the tires now, but would be able to in 2-3 months and the deal is unpassable, then I'd say get 'em and hold onto them until the $ comes together for the lift.

As far as the width, I don't think 40x13.5 would look 1/2 as bad as 35x10.50 and I've seen those on an Unlimited TJ that didn't look too bad.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need a 40" tire? I think you will need at least 6" of lift and chopped flenders to fit them. Spend a bunch of cash and build a "lower 40" lol.

What axles and gears do you have?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

well im suppose to only have 5" but for some reason i have almost 6. Theres no doubt they will fit. Especially with the 2.5" spacers. But fitting is not the problem... :P Yeah i can fit them but i dunno that i will like how they look.

As for the added expense, im already running 5.13s with arb's so the only thing i really need to upgrade for them is the shafts which i was going to upgrade to soon anyway. Other than that, i dont really need anymore lift or regearing, just stuff i was planning on getting anyway.

Heres the problem though. If i buythem i can only get 4 at this deal. So i can keep the 35" mounted spare. OR i can mount a 37" spare, but i wont have a 40" to mount for a spare so i dont know how that would work out in the even i actually ran into a problem like a flat.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man i dont know. Your Jk looks real nice, clean and practical. Have you ever had a vehicle with 40's? It is fun, but not for everyday use, at least mine wasnt. I'd prob be happy where you are. Matter of fact, there is a guy here at work who would NEVER spend $ on wheels and tires, but after I showed him a pic of your jeep, he's prob gonna go for it.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

No way to get another 40 even at regular price?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you running 44s front and rear or do you have dana 60s? or 60/44 combo... what ya got? With molly shafts you might be ok with 44s for a while. That is a lot of tire though. With 5.13s it is going to be a slug. prolly like 35s with 3.73s lol.

I don't think it is worth it, unless it is trail only and you have loads of cash. Just my opinion.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 04-16-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKJosh
Man i dont know. Your Jk looks real nice, clean and practical. Have you ever had a vehicle with 40's? It is fun, but not for everyday use, at least mine wasnt. I'd prob be happy where you are. Matter of fact, there is a guy here at work who would NEVER spend $ on wheels and tires, but after I showed him a pic of your jeep, he's prob gonna go for it.
haha well thats always good to hear =D

Yeah im torn on what to do. I do love the way my jeep looks, i just want it a little bigger. My step dad has 40s on his jeep. but they are also old, 15.5 wide and BOGGERS!! so i cannot really compare the two. I think the 40s would still give me a good ride but i dont know what to do. Since i already have 5.13s the 35s are really rough on the engine since im ALWAYS over reving on the highway, so i thought 40s would just fill up my gap, ease up on the engine and just look better in general but i dont know.... Im so torn on what to do...

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
No way to get another 40 even at regular price?
I could but since im only 20 and in school and i do not work... unless its x-mas or my birthday i typically do not get to much jeep stuff. And i will be getting the whole set of 4 for about what the typical person pays for 1 tire brand new. So when i say im getting a good deal i mean its almost stupid not to. Im getting all 4 BRAND NEW out the door for 600 bucks...to fit a 20" rim. Those tires are far from cheap. I am afraid that passing on the deal just makes me stupid lol.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
are you running 44s front and rear or do you have dana 60s? or 60/44 combo... what ya got?
30 in front 44 in rear :P Sad i know :P But my step dad has the stock 30 from his YJ runnin 40s he has had on there for well over 6 years and he has done everything in his jeep with no problems. I just figure after reading up on bulldogsfabs jeep, i can run it till it brakes and then fix it from there :P
Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

They may look a little "skinny". I have 38x14.5 and they look "right" imo
If you dont buy the 40's I WILL!!! for the Brute im building
Check out my pics

Last edited by HUNTER; 04-16-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 40x13.5?