Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4WD shifter disconnected !!! help

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 4WD shifter disconnected !!! help

The car now is single

the 4wd disconnected

I dunno what have caused it

my 4WD shifter moves up and down so easy even if the car is off

there is no 4wd hi or 4wd low , the shifter is just moving without connecting to 4WD mode

any one have an idea ?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a few threads on this. Basically there is a plastic fitting that connects the shifter to bar out of the transfer case. I just had this happen to me this past weekend which is a pain in the arse.

For a quick fix, you can zip tie the 2 pieces together to get your gear set, but it should be covered under warranty.

On a side note, this issue is happening so frequently, I am surprised there hasn't been a more solid solution offered up by the dealers / Chrysler.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Jedi

I can't link threads easily from my phone so do a quick search and you should find the fix is relatively easy with a zip tie (assuming you just popped the linkage cable). Sorry for the lack of technical terms.

Edit: Kahuna beat me to it while I was fumbling with my phone.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me. It is the cable that connects to your transfer case under the Jeep. Take a look at this thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/broken-transfer-case-link-85588/

A lot of people have had the same problem. Serious design flaw with the JK. Several fixes in the posts as well. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 4WD shifter disconnected !!! help