Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5:13 or 5:38's

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep us posted on how well you like the 5.38s. I am looking to do the same in August (need to save up $). I have the 08 Unlimmited X, stock 3.73s, Automatic on 35" tires. I can't get out of my own way.

Originally Posted by FastCarGuy
Well, I just picked up my Jeep with the 5:38's Other than getting overcharged $60.00 and taking a half hour to resolve it (Always get your quote in WRITING!) I got into rush hour traffic. The response from takeoff is a definite improvement. Not having my Superchips Programmer yet I had to kind of guess as to speed. But I can say that driving my regular route home on one stretch of freeway that because of speed cameras everyone usually holds it to 60 it did not shift out of overdrive. Whereas before the gears it would constantly hunt between OD & Drive. So far it's worth the investment This Sat. I'm running a trail in Payson,Az which means driving up into the mountains from our 1200' elev. to over 5,000'.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read various opinions on going to 5:13 vs 4:88's but does anyone have an opinion or "hands on experience" on whether to go 5:13 or 5:38 on a '07 Rubicon 2 Dr. w/AutoTrans. on 35" KM-2's? To say this is gutless with the stock 4.10's is a gross understatement. I'm hoping to score a SuperChip Programmer at the time of gear change.
I have 08 Rubicon Automatic w/32" tires went to 513 and the power range is GREAT. I am NOT going larger the 33", BUT if I were using 35", I would go 538 positively. Read the thread "PErformance Mods or Regear" and you questions will be answered. The larger tires force you to use lower gears, so your tranny is not shifting every 30 seconds.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Yesterday I drove the same trip up into the mountains that I had done 10 days ago only this time I had the 5:38's. The differance was amazing. I gained 1 gear throughout the drive. The only shift was from OD to drive. Never got close to dropping into 2nd gear which I did a lot the trip prior with the stock 4:10s. The Jeep is back to being fun to drive. Well worth the cost. Another thing I noticed was much greater control off road in 4-Low. Coming down off an obstacle rarely required touching the brake pedal.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Yesterday I drove the same trip up into the mountains that I had done 10 days ago only this time I had the 5:38's. The differance was amazing. I gained 1 gear throughout the drive. The only shift was from OD to drive. Never got close to dropping into 2nd gear which I did a lot the trip prior with the stock 4:10s. The Jeep is back to being fun to drive. Well worth the cost. Another thing I noticed was much greater control off road in 4-Low. Coming down off an obstacle rarely required touching the brake pedal.
Awesome!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Once I get the $$ together for gears Ill be going with 5.38's for sure. Im currently running 35's but if I either sell em or wear em out, Ill be going 37's.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Any more information or feedback on anyone running the 5.38's on and off the road?

Anyone break anything?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I know most already know this, but I'll say it anyways.
If you have a D30 front... forget the 5.38's or get an upgraded axle.