JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   6.2 Hemi Muffler too loud (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/6-2-hemi-muffler-too-loud-353467/)

Tactical Rifleman 03-30-2020 05:07 PM

6.2 Hemi Muffler too loud

Just got my 2011 JKU Rubicon back with my 6.2 Hemi conversion. She is a BEAST!!! However, I was hoping for a quieter idle. I'm a retired Green Beret, and they always called us the "Quiet Professionals" and I'm not looking to be that "loud hot rod" in town. I want hidden power there when I need it. The power is there, I'm just looking for a quieter ride. My suburban runs insanely quiet till you step on the skinny pedal.
So, looking under the back of the jeep, the new muffler has larger intake and outlet diameters. However, the muffler is still very small, compared to the available space under there. Question: could I have a muffler shop put in a larger muffler? Will this help reduce noise without hurting the programing of the motor (backflow, etc)? Thanks for any help. Exumbris@hotmail.com

karls10jk 03-31-2020 10:50 AM

You'd be better served reaching out to the muffler manufacturer representatives through the forums or the facebook to get some facts about it before you ask a muffler shop. The manufacturer should be able to get you a quieter sound, wether it be with a resonator or another muffler. Best of luck.

Tactical Rifleman 03-31-2020 06:19 PM

THanks for the help!!!

caryt 04-01-2020 03:12 PM

My LS is loud, mainly drone..seems louder inside:eek2:
I dynomated the complete interior and have all carpet, mats everything.
I ran 2ea 2.5" Borla Pro XS offsets to a 3" out passenger side to a 4" round Magnaflow, outlet is just at the end of the gas tank.
I'd like it quieter also..its still drones some between 2k and 2.5k just where you want to cruise.
Then after 3k just loud

scubatech 04-02-2020 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Rifleman (Post 4359662)
Just got my 2011 JKU Rubicon back with my 6.2 Hemi conversion. She is a BEAST!!! However, I was hoping for a quieter idle. I'm a retired Green Beret, and they always called us the "Quiet Professionals" and I'm not looking to be that "loud hot rod" in town. I want hidden power there when I need it. The power is there, I'm just looking for a quieter ride. My suburban runs insanely quiet till you step on the skinny pedal.
So, looking under the back of the jeep, the new muffler has larger intake and outlet diameters. However, the muffler is still very small, compared to the available space under there. Question: could I have a muffler shop put in a larger muffler? Will this help reduce noise without hurting the programing of the motor (backflow, etc)? Thanks for any help. Exumbris@hotmail.com

I had a Flowmaster "50" series on m y 6.4 Hemi. I thought it sounded good with no drone. It did have a small resonator in the system and I'm not sure how much that helped. The system was a 3" throughout.

BoraBora 04-05-2020 06:41 AM

Hah, I thought I recognized that username. That you Karl?

Tactical Rifleman 04-24-2020 07:41 PM

Yep, it's me… My 6.4 Hemi is a little too loud for my dogs with the doors off. Just trying to find a quieter muffler.