Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6.2 Hemi Muffler too loud

Old 03-30-2020, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2 Hemi Muffler too loud

Just got my 2011 JKU Rubicon back with my 6.2 Hemi conversion. She is a BEAST!!! However, I was hoping for a quieter idle. I'm a retired Green Beret, and they always called us the "Quiet Professionals" and I'm not looking to be that "loud hot rod" in town. I want hidden power there when I need it. The power is there, I'm just looking for a quieter ride. My suburban runs insanely quiet till you step on the skinny pedal.
So, looking under the back of the jeep, the new muffler has larger intake and outlet diameters. However, the muffler is still very small, compared to the available space under there. Question: could I have a muffler shop put in a larger muffler? Will this help reduce noise without hurting the programing of the motor (backflow, etc)? Thanks for any help. Exumbris@hotmail.com
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'd be better served reaching out to the muffler manufacturer representatives through the forums or the facebook to get some facts about it before you ask a muffler shop. The manufacturer should be able to get you a quieter sound, wether it be with a resonator or another muffler. Best of luck.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

THanks for the help!!!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My LS is loud, mainly drone..seems louder inside
I dynomated the complete interior and have all carpet, mats everything.
I ran 2ea 2.5" Borla Pro XS offsets to a 3" out passenger side to a 4" round Magnaflow, outlet is just at the end of the gas tank.
I'd like it quieter also..its still drones some between 2k and 2.5k just where you want to cruise.
Then after 3k just loud
Old 04-02-2020, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical Rifleman
Just got my 2011 JKU Rubicon back with my 6.2 Hemi conversion. She is a BEAST!!! However, I was hoping for a quieter idle. I'm a retired Green Beret, and they always called us the "Quiet Professionals" and I'm not looking to be that "loud hot rod" in town. I want hidden power there when I need it. The power is there, I'm just looking for a quieter ride. My suburban runs insanely quiet till you step on the skinny pedal.
So, looking under the back of the jeep, the new muffler has larger intake and outlet diameters. However, the muffler is still very small, compared to the available space under there. Question: could I have a muffler shop put in a larger muffler? Will this help reduce noise without hurting the programing of the motor (backflow, etc)? Thanks for any help. Exumbris@hotmail.com
I had a Flowmaster "50" series on m y 6.4 Hemi. I thought it sounded good with no drone. It did have a small resonator in the system and I'm not sure how much that helped. The system was a 3" throughout.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hah, I thought I recognized that username. That you Karl?
Old 04-24-2020, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Yep, it's me… My 6.4 Hemi is a little too loud for my dogs with the doors off. Just trying to find a quieter muffler.

Quick Reply: 6.2 Hemi Muffler too loud