Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

7 Pin Trailer plug in rear bumper

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 Pin Trailer plug in rear bumper

Hi Guys...
I am new to this forum as I just picked up my new 2009 2 dr. last week.. Not new to Jeeps though as I have owned a few over the yers and sold my 2001 Tj to buy this.. At any rate I installed my hitch and wiring and need a place to mount the 7 pin plug. I was thinking about mounting in the bumper, does anyone know if it is hollow. Looks like I can drill a small hole in the backside to route the wires in and would be able to use blind nuts to grip the plastic. I really don't want to hang it off the bottom, not only dose it not look finished it is exposed to all the road debri and can get ripped off on rocks etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock rear bumper can easily get ripped off with rocks and trees as well.......
Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is actually hanging because if I connected to the bumper it would get smashed the first time I went wheeling. I just got a long spring from a hobbie store and it dangles out of site. I have gone on trails where it was submerged for a long time while going up or down steam and it still worked fine. I just always pull the fuse until I need to do anything.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

I moved my 7-pin into the rear bumper for the exact reason you mentioned..it got ripped off in the mud in the factory location next to the receiver There a nice spot just to the left of the spare tire cutout. Just used a hole saw and screwed it right in. I bought it at WalMart for $20. Good Luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks... Thats exactly what i was thinking but with a week old jeep i was looking for a scond opinion before drilling.....Did you drill a holein the backside to route the wires through.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ALGONQUIN
Thanks... Thats exactly what i was thinking but with a week old jeep i was looking for a scond opinion before drilling.....Did you drill a holein the backside to route the wires through.
Yes..I drilled a smaller hole on the opposite side to route the wires. I also did it when it was brand new. Worst case...there are factory bumpers available on this site all the time ...free or very cheap if you screw something up. Just take your time and use a hole saw and you will be fine. Go for it you'll be glad you moved it !!!

Quick Reply: 7 Pin Trailer plug in rear bumper