JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   85# - Tire carrier? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/85-tire-carrier-285942/)

noklok 09-15-2013 04:54 PM

85# - Tire carrier?

I am going to be running a 35 inch tire with a total tire and wheel weight of 85 pounds Pretty light for 35s. Do you guys think I will need a tire carrier or just an adapter. I wil do very little offroading. Some trail running maybe and not much of that. Daily driver.

noklok 09-15-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by noklok (Post 3678797)
I am going to be running a 35 inch tire with a total tire and wheel weight of 85 pounds Pretty light for 35s. Do you guys think I will need a tire carrier or just an adapter. I wil do very little offroading. Some trail running maybe and not much of that. Daily driver.

I'm quoting myself... weird. A heavy 35 on a heavy wheel can weigh 115 pounds. Big difference.

nthinuf 09-15-2013 05:19 PM

Some have issues, some don't. All onroad, you should be ok until you get around to an alternative, but you might want to get some bumpstops to keep the tire from twisting side-to-side.

I ran a 35 like that for almost four years with no issues. (but again, others 'have' had problems hanging 35's off the stock carrier)

Phrogmech46 09-15-2013 05:22 PM

Your going to get many different opinions on this topic. My opinion is as long as the wheel is pressed up against the stock tailgate bumpers or extended Daystar bumpers you will be just fine.

SBEII 09-15-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Phrogmech46 (Post 3678828)
Your going to get many different opinions on this topic. My opinion is as long as the wheel is pressed up against the stock tailgate bumpers or extended Daystar bumpers you will be just fine.

X2. I'm a firm believer that the vibration is what destroys the gate. I have the cheapo Bestop carrier because I couldn't get my tire to contact the bump stops. It has a 37" Nitto hanging back there now.

noklok 09-18-2013 12:48 AM

Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with the smittybilt oversize tire carrier. I like that I can just open the the gate without swinging a carrier out of the way first and the price. I didn't find anyone who suffered tailgate damage while using one. If I start wheeling more I will update it. Thanks again.

GJeep 09-18-2013 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by noklok (Post 3681192)
..... I decided to go with the smittybilt oversize tire carrier. I like that I can just open the the gate without swinging a carrier out of the way first and the price.....

A tire carrier which swings by opening/closing the rear gate --

Works nicely for me, with 35". Holds up to 40".

jwilson2598 09-18-2013 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by noklok (Post 3681192)
Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with the smittybilt oversize tire carrier. I like that I can just open the the gate without swinging a carrier out of the way first and the price. I didn't find anyone who suffered tailgate damage while using one. If I start wheeling more I will update it. Thanks again.

Another good option for you would be the Teraflex reinforced hinge. It beefs it up quite a bit and still keeps the stock tire location and function.

noklok 09-18-2013 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 3681224)
Another good option for you would be the Teraflex reinforced hinge. It beefs it up quite a bit and still keeps the stock tire location and function.

That's what I will wind up with if I think it's neccessary. For right now the smittybilt is freeing up a good bit of my build budget for other gadgets.;)