Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

85# - Tire carrier?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85# - Tire carrier?

I am going to be running a 35 inch tire with a total tire and wheel weight of 85 pounds Pretty light for 35s. Do you guys think I will need a tire carrier or just an adapter. I wil do very little offroading. Some trail running maybe and not much of that. Daily driver.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by noklok
I am going to be running a 35 inch tire with a total tire and wheel weight of 85 pounds Pretty light for 35s. Do you guys think I will need a tire carrier or just an adapter. I wil do very little offroading. Some trail running maybe and not much of that. Daily driver.
I'm quoting myself... weird. A heavy 35 on a heavy wheel can weigh 115 pounds. Big difference.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Some have issues, some don't. All onroad, you should be ok until you get around to an alternative, but you might want to get some bumpstops to keep the tire from twisting side-to-side.

I ran a 35 like that for almost four years with no issues. (but again, others 'have' had problems hanging 35's off the stock carrier)
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your going to get many different opinions on this topic. My opinion is as long as the wheel is pressed up against the stock tailgate bumpers or extended Daystar bumpers you will be just fine.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogmech46
Your going to get many different opinions on this topic. My opinion is as long as the wheel is pressed up against the stock tailgate bumpers or extended Daystar bumpers you will be just fine.
X2. I'm a firm believer that the vibration is what destroys the gate. I have the cheapo Bestop carrier because I couldn't get my tire to contact the bump stops. It has a 37" Nitto hanging back there now.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with the smittybilt oversize tire carrier. I like that I can just open the the gate without swinging a carrier out of the way first and the price. I didn't find anyone who suffered tailgate damage while using one. If I start wheeling more I will update it. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

..... I decided to go with the smittybilt oversize tire carrier. I like that I can just open the the gate without swinging a carrier out of the way first and the price.....
A tire carrier which swings by opening/closing the rear gate --

Works nicely for me, with 35". Holds up to 40".

Last edited by GJeep; 09-18-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with the smittybilt oversize tire carrier. I like that I can just open the the gate without swinging a carrier out of the way first and the price. I didn't find anyone who suffered tailgate damage while using one. If I start wheeling more I will update it. Thanks again.
Another good option for you would be the Teraflex reinforced hinge. It beefs it up quite a bit and still keeps the stock tire location and function.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
Another good option for you would be the Teraflex reinforced hinge. It beefs it up quite a bit and still keeps the stock tire location and function.
That's what I will wind up with if I think it's neccessary. For right now the smittybilt is freeing up a good bit of my build budget for other gadgets.

Quick Reply: 85# - Tire carrier?