Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to change lifts and having second thoughts??

Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to change lifts and having second thoughts??

Need some advice......currently running 4 door springs (18/59) with 1" teraflex spacers on all 4 corners.......been running this for about 3 years and for the most part have been happy. I'm looking for some better performance on the trails, and wanted a more complete kit. So I opted for the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift. I'm a little concerned that when I opened the box that the new TF springs are roughly the same length as the current springs I have in there......for example my front one measured 18" (free length.....not compressed) and the new TF one measures 18.25". I realize that the TF is wrapped a bit tighter and I'm sure it has a better spring rate, but I am a little nervous that after I take out my current setup and install the new lift that I will actually be sitting lower than what I have now (which clearly nobody would want). To give you an idea, the 18/59 springs plus 1" spacer netted me 3" up front and 2.25" in the rear.....after some settling and heavy bumpers I am now at 2.5" upfront and 1.75" of actual lift.
Do you think I should have any concern about sitting lower after the 2.5" lift is installed? While I appreciate any and all advice, please don't suggest leaving the 1" spacers in there because I really don't want to do that.
Here she sits as of this minute.....Name:  2298870 (1).jpg
Views: 342
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Teraflex springs will have a higher spring rate so don't worry about the free length too much. Having a long free length is nice though because you can pair those coils with long travel shocks and not need to worry about unseating the coils as much.

When you mention performance, do you want more travel? Looking at the picture you have plenty off clearance with those fenders. To get more travel you'll need longer shocks but then you need to consider ways to retain your coils.

I don't think you'll regret changing coils as the stock ones might be tired and sagging. I say go for it. You can also look into metalcloak or synergy coils as they have long free lengths.

Good luck
Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe_B
The Teraflex springs will have a higher spring rate so don't worry about the free length too much. Having a long free length is nice though because you can pair those coils with long travel shocks and not need to worry about unseating the coils as much.

When you mention performance, do you want more travel? Looking at the picture you have plenty off clearance with those fenders. To get more travel you'll need longer shocks but then you need to consider ways to retain your coils.

I don't think you'll regret changing coils as the stock ones might be tired and sagging. I say go for it. You can also look into metalcloak or synergy coils as they have long free lengths.

Good luck
Thanks for the quick reply.....I am replacing my rubi shocks with the teraflex 9550 shocks that come with their kit......not sure if those are longer but I would assume the are at least a little. The rear springs actually come with retainers, and with the extended bumpstops up front, I'm not too worried about the fronts falling out. In terms of performance, it's more just a better quality ride on the trails......the setup I have now is fine for so fairly easy trails, but you can just tell its a half-ass system......probably should have just bought the 2.5" kit years ago and be done with it. The bushwacker flats certainly opened things up a bit, as I am running 315/75/16 duratracs and I don't come close to rubbing even when disco'ed.....just want to make sure that will still be the case once I put on the new TF kit.....I'm sure it will be fine with their bumpstops, but again.....don't really want to lose any height.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my experience, the advertised lift height is based off of the 19/60 springs being the starting point. Think about it, if you advertise 2.5" of lift height and someone only gets say 1.5 because they started with 19/60s, they won't be happy. Along with the weight of the vehicle, the other major affect of how much lift you get is the springs you start with. Someone with 14/56s will see more lift than someone with 19/60s for example. However, if their Jeeps weigh the same they should both end up about the same final ride height. So if you take away the 1" spacers you currently have I think you will probably still see approximately 1.5" of final height. Again, in my experience. I am not a suspension expert by any means.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-05-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
In my experience, the advertised lift height is based off of the 19/60 springs being the starting point. Think about it, if you advertise 2.5" of lift height and someone only gets say 1.5 because they started with 19/60s, they won't be happy. Along with the weight of the vehicle, the other major affect of how much lift you get is the springs you start with. Someone with 14/56s will see more lift than someone with 19/60s for example. However, if their Jeeps weigh the same they should both end up about the same final ride height. So if you take away the 1" spacers you currently have I think you will probably still see approximately 1.5" of final height. Again, in my experience. I am not a suspension expert by any means.
thanks! That is what I always thought as well.....i guess the main thing scaring me is the length of the new springs....being the same as the 18/59's i have in there now.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm guessing they are a lot stiffer.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran that kit for 2 years when I first got my jeep. You'll get the advertised height, don't worry about it.

It's a decent kit and did the job. The bumpstops might be too tall for you as you run flat fenders with 35s. Check to see if your shocks can handle running a shorter bumpstops.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe_B
I ran that kit for 2 years when I first got my jeep. You'll get the advertised height, don't worry about it.

It's a decent kit and did the job. The bumpstops might be too tall for you as you run flat fenders with 35s. Check to see if your shocks can handle running a shorter bumpstops.
Thanks, that's a good idea.....maybe I'll see if I can stick with my current setup.....which is the stock bumpstop with a hockey puck epoxied on the lower part of the spring perch.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by m4belisle
Thanks, that's a good idea.....maybe I'll see if I can stick with my current setup.....which is the stock bumpstop with a hockey puck epoxied on the lower part of the spring perch.
of course another thought is the 2 doors don't come with 18/59 or 19/60's as they are 4 door springs........and Teraflex does make a 2 and 4 door kit, so I have to believe their 4 door springs are longer than the 2 door springs.....so I am kind of back to thinking that on my 2 door, starting with 18/59's that I won't get the full 2.5" lift.........I'm leaning towards only getting about 1.5", then minus my 1" spacer which may end up netting me .5". I would actually be ok with this.....just don't want to lose any height. I really hope I'm right, as this may sound crazy, but 1.5" over what I have now may not look the best since I have flat fenders.....guess there is only 1 way to find out.....stop wondering and just put it on and see.

here's a better photo

Last edited by m4belisle; 09-05-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: About to change lifts and having second thoughts??