Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Accessories we want but don't seem to exist

Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The elusive freedom panel screwdriver removal tool.

1. We want a freedom panel removal tool which is like the Mopar one shown above.
2. We want it not only where it can be used by your hand to turn those screws, but we want it to have a hex fit peg sticking out of the bottom as well, so we can put it in a cordless electric screw driver to zip those hold down screws in and out.

It is somewhat awkward reaching back for those freedom panel anchor screws, while pushing our fingers up in there to turn it. Someone started with a pretty neat design idea at Mopar, but then forgot to add the most important piece to make it much more useful, the hex peg so you could put it into a screw driver.

Please someone get me that accessory tool!

So, for this I would go to Lowes or Home Depot or Ferguson Plumbing supply and get an expansion plug that would fit inside the freedom panel removal tool. Replace the 1/4'"diameter carriage bolt that it comes with with one that is about 3" long and then put the expansion plug in the removal tool, tighten it down with the wing nut till it grips nice and tight and then put your drill on the extended part if the 1/4" carriage bolt and go to town on those hold down bolts.

The image below is a generic image, I don't know what size expansion plug would work as I haven't measured the I.D. of the removal tool.

The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm with Rednroll on a danged winch cover that lasts!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good looking, sturdy full size front bumper that blends with the fenders of the Jeep so it won't get mud, slush, etc., piled up on top of it. Had an ARB on my '08 and it was great, but $900 and have to trim the frame rails? Same idea for a rear bumper that protects the quarter panels, blends with the fenders and has a tire carrier. For under $500 each.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The elusive freedom panel screwdriver removal tool.

1. We want a freedom panel removal tool which is like the Mopar one shown above.
2. We want it not only where it can be used by your hand to turn those screws, but we want it to have a hex fit peg sticking out of the bottom as well, so we can put it in a cordless electric screw driver to zip those hold down screws in and out.

It is somewhat awkward reaching back for those freedom panel anchor screws, while pushing our fingers up in there to turn it. Someone started with a pretty neat design idea at Mopar, but then forgot to add the most important piece to make it much more useful, the hex peg so you could put it into a screw driver.

Please someone get me that accessory tool!
I could probably design and print exactly this without much trouble. Maybe I'll add that to the list.
Rednroll (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I could probably design and print exactly this without much trouble. Maybe I'll add that to the list.
PVC pipe and a saw.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by akpostal
PVC pipe and a saw.
The idea is to have a hex head to allow for powered screwing/unscrewing.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
The idea is to have a hex head to allow for powered screwing/unscrewing.
That's the part I need most. The PVC part is a good idea in place of the Mopar design, but I'm really looking for a way to mount the hex peg onto it since I've got a cordless screwdrivers with the hex head for quick connect. What my thought is that when I remove my top, I typically use my cordless screw driver with a quick swap torque bit to remove the torque screws and I'ld just want to quickly swap in this thing in to do the same for the freedom panel removal.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-17-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The issue with a 3D printed version would be if someone hammered on it with a cordless you will strip it out easily. I have thought about printing a few but dont want people to get mad at me when they use them and hammer it with a cordless and it strips out. its just plastic at the end of the day
Old 04-18-2019, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
The issue with a 3D printed version would be if someone hammered on it with a cordless you will strip it out easily. I have thought about printing a few but dont want people to get mad at me when they use them and hammer it with a cordless and it strips out. its just plastic at the end of the day
I deal with this all the time. I use screws to add reinforcement.. The printed hex head by itself would be very weak but a few recessed screws squeezing the hex head layers to the main part would add a lot of strength. I do this whenever I expect the layer bond to fail, it's like adding rebar in concrete. I still wouldn't hit it with an impact, but I'm willing to bet it'd survive running the screw down the threads which is the main purpose here. They could be tightened by hand after powered threading. Maybe I'll take a crack at that today.

This is a great thread by the way. I'm willing to bet some of these wish list items will find solutions just by bringing them to the surface like this.
Rednroll (04-19-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well if you get bored and wanna send me what you come up with my MK3 has been just sitting around alot lately @icrashbikes

Quick Reply: Accessories we want but don't seem to exist