Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ace + Rubi Rails

Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace + Rubi Rails

I'm about to pull the trigger on some new Ace Rock Rails. I know they make some to go over the stock Rubi Rails, and some by themselves. I have a 2011 Sahara. Will I regret not picking up a set of Rubi Rails first? Is the $100 or so worth it for the added protection?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Former Shasta
I'm about to pull the trigger on some new Ace Rock Rails. I know they make some to go over the stock Rubi Rails, and some by themselves. I have a 2011 Sahara. Will I regret not picking up a set of Rubi Rails first? Is the $100 or so worth it for the added protection?
As far as getting the Rubi rails first, that's up to you, you can still mount up the Ace rails, then when you get the Rubi rails, remove the Ace rails, put on the Rubi's and reinstall the Ace. It's not too much work as the Ace rails are mounted using existing body bolts.

The first photo shows the Ace (underside) installed, and you can clearly see the Rubi rails. Two body bolts hold on the Ace.

The other two show you what it looks like with the Ace and Rubi rails installed. It's really up to you if you want to get the Rubi's, they're not necessary, but I think they complete the look.

I just noticed that you're local.

If you want to meet some day, I can show you my Jeep and you can see for youself. (I'm at the south end of the 2 fwy)

Last edited by RodCyn; 06-20-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You had to grind down the washer too it looks like.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
You had to grind down the washer too it looks like.
absolutely Nice to have a bench grinder for that
JK Super Freak

I love these rails, but I don't understand why they can't throw some freaking washers in.
JK Enthusiast

I think the Rubi Rails are a good idea. Frame mounted rails can flex up into the body on a hit. Rubi rails would protect against that. So would rocker armor. Rubi rails are cheaper.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

IMO, the Ace rails looks almost incomplete without the Rubi rails, so I would definitely opt for some Rubi units as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4fit?
IMO, the Ace rails looks almost incomplete without the Rubi rails, so I would definitely opt for some Rubi units as well.
I have a Rubi and have been looking into the Ace rails as an add on. I haven't pulled the trigger yet for two reasons...

The Ace looks best when you use a Rubi rail under it, but now you are talking having the weight of 2 pairs of rock rails which may not be ideal. This may be an extra 50-70lbs over a single set.

The Ace were originally priced very well but when I looked to buy them 2 weeks ago the price had gone up and was about $400 delivered, so fairly priced but not a super bargain.

If someone doesn't have the Rubicon rails and needs to spend $100 for takes offs and then $400 for the Ace, and considering the extra weight you will be adding running 2 sets of rails, are these really that great of an option any more?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check their facebook, they have promo's sometimes. I got $45 off during the jeep beach. For me, I already had the rubi rails and was looking for a rail to go with it. Since I have a 2 door, so that was adding 70lbs. But, I understand the backseat is some 50 ~ 08 lbs and I don't drive with it in, so I figured the weight was a wash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	173920
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Rodcyn, I drive on the 2 every day on my way to work and back in Hollywood, so it might be cool to take a look at them.

I hadn't even thought about the extra weight. Might have to think some more. I need the step feature of the Ace Rails for my kid and wife, and they seem to be the best price/design combo I've found even with the increase.

I signed up for their mailing list, some hopefully some promo codes come through there.

Quick Reply: Ace + Rubi Rails