Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding E-lockers?

Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding E-lockers?

If I have one regret about my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Sport), it is that I wasn't able to afford the Rubicon package. I just couldn't get it bought for the money I had available. I have been doing some looking around at different products and I have some questions, firstly, has anyone added E-Lockers to their Wrangler? If so, what did you think about them?

Are there other options here that I'm missing? I know replacing both axles is an option, but not a fiscally responsible for me right now. Any information you guys have on this would be great! Thanks!

David
Cheers!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Santa is bringing me ARB air lockers for Xmas. I looked at e-lockers but decided on air lockers which will also give me onboard air for inflating tires.

It would have been nice to buy new PR axles with lockers but I couldn't swing it. I do have sleeves and gussets on my D30.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brighton
Santa is bringing me ARB air lockers for Xmas. I looked at e-lockers but decided on air lockers which will also give me onboard air for inflating tires.

It would have been nice to buy new PR axles with lockers but I couldn't swing it. I do have sleeves and gussets on my D30.
\

Lucky guy! And a solid plan. I'm guessing you have to add an onboard compressor system with that setup? I don't know much about air lockers.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Yes with the ARB you will have to run a on board air. You can do an E-Locker from eaton or something like an Aussie locker as well. The ARB and Eatons will have the pull and reset the ring an pinion where as an Aussie, you just pull the ring and carrier and replace the spider gears. The Aussie is cheap and automatic but may not be a good choice if you need 4wd high for snow.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelud3
\

Lucky guy! And a solid plan. I'm guessing you have to add an onboard compressor system with that setup? I don't know much about air lockers.
I must have been good this year - with ARB lockers, 4.88 gears, diff covers, and a high output compressor on my xmas list, Santa is being very generous this year.

btw, your sig reminds me of another one of my favorite Frank Sinatra quotes: “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great information!

Santa is being very generous! That's one of my favorites also!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

ARB is the locker that all other selectables are compared against. Can't really go wrong there, plus has the bonus of onboard air. E-lockers have great reviews on here, and they are in the process of releasing an updated d44 4-pin locker. (if you go this route, be sure to track down the new design). Ox is an interesting choice. Mixed reviews, but there are several different actuation methods to choose from and a way to lock/unlock if you chosen actuation method fails.

If you want an autolocker, Detroits are great. And as noted, lunchboxes are a good bang-for-the-buck choice.

Or, check out the detroit Truetrac. You can get a pair for the price of a single selectable, and they are a great all-around choice for those who don't spend a lot of time with tires in the air.

This is a few years old, but I think the folks at dynatrac put together a decent overview.
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101
Old 12-09-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

I install an SPod a while back . Two of the switches are reserved for the E-Lockers . The new 4 pinion should be very good .

Quick Reply: Adding E-lockers?