Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding more lift and more rubber

Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding more lift and more rubber

Currently : 2014 JKU Sahara. 2.5'' Teraflex lift, 35x12.5r17 Goodyear Duratracs on 17''x(9''?) Fuel Mavericks.

I'll need to switch out the tires soon, 10k-ish miles left on them. I was thinking of bumping up to 37x12.5 or 13.5 Ridge or Trail Grapplers and adding a 1'' leveling kit. Does anyone know if there is anything else I need to do to accomplish this? Maybe switch to flat fenders but should I bump up to a D30 or switch out any other components? Mostly used for paved roads and overland, it is my weekend vehicle I guess.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you're going to go to a 37, I'd stick with a 12.5" width as I'm pretty sure your wheels are 4.5" BS. Unless you are going to run spacers, 13.5 is gonna be a bit wide. 12.5 works with a couple washers added to your steering stops. I have ACE inner liners, and under full stuff my tire would still contact the liner just enough to leave a scratch. You'd need to address your fenders. In the rear, you might have to cut more pinch seam. Not sure how bad on a 2.5" lift, but 3.5" lift with factory arms leaves the rear tire offset towards the front of the wheel well....enough so that it looks a bit odd. It's much better if you have adjustable arms and can push the axle back. You might need to reassess if your bumpstops are adequate. A 37 is obviously going to stress components that much more.....steering joints/components as well as the axle/gears. Have you upgraded DL, TR, and ball joints? You didn't mention what gearing you currently have.....4.10 or lower you will likely not be thrilled with performance.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amb9494
Currently : 2014 JKU Sahara. 2.5'' Teraflex lift, 35x12.5r17 Goodyear Duratracs on 17''x(9''?) Fuel Mavericks.

I'll need to switch out the tires soon, 10k-ish miles left on them. I was thinking of bumping up to 37x12.5 or 13.5 Ridge or Trail Grapplers and adding a 1'' leveling kit. Does anyone know if there is anything else I need to do to accomplish this? Maybe switch to flat fenders but should I bump up to a D30 or switch out any other components? Mostly used for paved roads and overland, it is my weekend vehicle I guess.
We're guessing you meant to say bump up to a Dana44 unit, not a Dana30? If you're going to go with 37s, you should definitely look at upgrading your front axle, even if you're not really going off-road with your JK. Those larger tires put a lot more stress on the axles in any environment. Even if you don't upgrade your axle, we definitely recommend going with a brake upgrade like our ProGrip kit. https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-jeep-jk.html

The extra mass and rotating inertia of those 37s will quickly overwhelm the stock brakes and make driving your JK anywhere an adventure you won't enjoy, especially in traffic where you might have to stop suddenly.

Upgrading to a set of our HD ball joints is also a good idea to beef things up for those 37s. https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable...alljoints.html

Quick Reply: Adding more lift and more rubber