Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Additional modifications to lift a 2012

Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional modifications to lift a 2012

Ok. There seems to be much confusion/contradictions as to the additional mods to lift a 2012. My review of the treads are summarized below:

1. To lift 2.5" inches or less, no additional mods required

2. To lift above 2.5", exhaust spacers and a new driveshaft is required. This is because the driveshaft will hit the exhaust pipes with full droop and shock extension.

Everybody is already aware of the backspacing/spacers/new wheels issues so not to rub so we won't get into that.

Is this accurate?? Please correct if I'm wrong so others can be appropriately informed when lifting their 2012s.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds about right. I would say nothing is absolute though. Some 2.5s give more than 2.5 actual lift.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
It depends in the length of the shocks you will run.

Even a 2.5" or shorter lift will require the extra mods if your shocks are long enough to allow extra articulation/flex/droop.

So, even given the same lift manufacturer of the lift, it depends on the length of the shocks you choose to run.
Yeah, from what I have seen is if you go with a good coil life and longer shocks, even at 2.5" you will at least need the exhaust spacers. Unless of course you never stretch it.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

It depends in the length of the shocks you will run.

Even a 2.5" or shorter lift will require the extra mods if your shocks are long enough to allow extra articulation/flex/droop.

So, even given the same lift manufacturer of the lift, it depends on the length of the shocks you choose to run.
What about keeping the stock Rubi shocks and a 2.5" lift?? My understanding is that no exhaust spacers are needed.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in the same boat with 2012 sport. I'm not sure how much lift/tires I want now or down the road so I'm thinking I might just go ahead and get a new driveshaft first so I won't have to worry about it. Tom Woods 1310?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CodyJK
I'm in the same boat with 2012 sport. I'm not sure how much lift/tires I want now or down the road so I'm thinking I might just go ahead and get a new driveshaft first so I won't have to worry about it. Tom Woods 1310?
I've heard good things about the 1310.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

If you look at the Tereflex video they have it explains it pretty well, and its a cheap and easy mod to just do the exhaust spacers. While I am not one of them, it looks like something someone could do with limited amount of fab skills pretty easily themselves.

And BTW, it only happens at full droop, so its not exact on the amount of life, but more about the amount of flex you get. If you are mall crawling you would be fine. Flex it on a trail and it could cause problems.

I think other than that, the angle of the front drive shaft is still OK at 2.5" so no reason you would *need* to change it, although might not be a terrible idea.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very, very bad idea without shock extensions.
Yep, you will eventually ruin your shocks because they will be extended more than intended. You don't want your shocks to be the limiting factor of your suspension.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 2.5 you should still probably need to get the driveshaft... won't need the driveshaft + spacer untill you go over 3.5 or so.

The front DS is at a pretty sharp pinch even with only 2.5 inches... some people have run this much lift without DS problems, others tear their driveshaft boot up on the way home from the shop.

It sucks that it adds $460 to our lift installs but thats the price we pay for having the new pentastar... we have more of a need for the front driveshaft but less of a need to regear right away... pretty good trade IMHO

Last edited by hypeiv; 07-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been doing a some research on this too. It's my understanding that a new drive shaft is not needed if the exhaust extensions are used and vice versa.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong. This is simply based on what I've read on-line and we all know how accurate the internet can be.
I'm currently looking at a 3" lift with 35's on a 2012 JKUR and I'm planning on using the exhaust spacer. I'd really like to know which mod is really needed and why.

Quick Reply: Additional modifications to lift a 2012