Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adj front toe in/out alignement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adj front toe in/out alignement

I've read the write- up on front end alignment. It's all pretty straight forward and easy to do on my own a number of times. Haven't needed to mess with toe angle until recently. Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment. Question is: My passenger front tire is wearing on the outer half faster. So I need to adjust my toe out? for passenger side, e.g the bottom of the tire needs to be pushed out. Do I remove passenger side link on tie rod to adjust the knuckle out further? Trying to push the front passenger side tire bottom portion out being the outer say half of tread is wearing excessively in comparison to the driver side. Hope I'm being somewhat clear to make since here....thanks for your advice
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The knuckles are not adjusted independently.

Your wear issue may be from too much cross caster combined with too much toe-in.

For sure, rotate that unevenly worn tire to the back axle.

Measure caster for each side, and watch this short youtube video on toe adjustment.

http://youtu.be/K2pjCebuyDo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by planman; 01-16-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM
JK Jedi

Thank you for your help. So would I adjust the driver side turn knuckle for setting toe as shown in the video? Turning it clockwise? I'm just still not quite clear. I'm working on dialing in my adj control arms, as I swapped them out from my old WP fixed length arms, both top and bottom too. I do need to recenter my axle again, it's off less than 1/4", sticking out further to drivers side. Would this have anything to do with the unusual tire wear on outer passenger side? Thanks

Last edited by k0260; 01-16-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi

I did go ahead and rotate out the tire. So all of the toe adjusting is done from the drivers side? thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
I did go ahead and rotate out the tire. So all of the toe adjusting is done from the drivers side? thanks
That's correct. You're basically increasing the length of the tie-rod bar (toe out) or decreasing it (toe in).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 2.16.38 AM.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	410376

Taking this screen pic from his video, if you take the blue handled wrench and wrench it up, you will get toe in.

if you wrench it down, you're effectively lengthening the tie-rod bar to get the tires to toe out.

That should be correct unless Jeep engineers decided to reverse thread it....
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi

thanks for the info. So adjusting the toe will toe out both wheels even though I need only the passenger to toe out?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
thanks for the info. So adjusting the toe will toe out both wheels even though I need only the passenger to toe out?
On a solid axle vehicle, you cannot toe out only one side. The sides are connected together by the tie rod.

The computer readouts for alignments don't have any meaning with regard to toe on one single side.

So, set your toe. Then, straighten your steering wheel--using the collar on the drag link.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by planman
On a solid axle vehicle, you cannot toe out only one side. The sides are connected together by the tie rod.

The computer readouts for alignments don't have any meaning with regard to toe on one single side.

So, set your toe. Then, straighten your steering wheel--using the collar on the drag link.
yeah I've centered my wheel via the drag link many times, just first time setting toe. Thanks for your help Planman, I appreciate it
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caster doesn't cause tire wear but only effects handling by pulling to the side with less caster. Toe effects tire wear by feathering of the tire thread.
usually edge wear on a tire is caused by camber so i would check play in the ball joints or a bent c. Only for sure way to tell is bring it to a
alignment shop
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by egeli
Caster doesn't cause tire wear but only effects handling by pulling to the side with less caster. Toe effects tire wear by feathering of the tire thread.
usually edge wear on a tire is caused by camber so i would check play in the ball joints or a bent c. Only for sure way to tell is bring it to a
alignment shop
Luckily I'm runnin C gussets, the noticeable wear is more towards the outside of the tire but not the outside edge. It seems to be more of the feathering wear you're referring to. Ball joints are tight, I'll play with the toe a bit, take it in if needed. I've never needed to take my JK anywhere for work, I love doing this stuff on my own, but if need be.... thanks for everyone's input.

Quick Reply: Adj front toe in/out alignement