Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustable control arms

Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable control arms

Well I getting tired of the flighty steering in my 09 rubi with a 2.5 teraflex lift.
Its still on the stock rims and tires just lifted. So now the quick question I have gotten some stock control arms for free and I was thinking about cutting one end off of them and getting some adjustable ends. I would have stock length adjustable lca. Is it a do-able mod or should I just go out snd buy some lca? If its do-able witch end should I cut off ?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you get an alignment after the lift install
Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by pirate
Well I getting tired of the flighty steering in my 09 rubi with a 2.5 teraflex lift.
Its still on the stock rims and tires just lifted. So now the quick question I have gotten some stock control arms for free and I was thinking about cutting one end off of them and getting some adjustable ends. I would have stock length adjustable lca. Is it a do-able mod or should I just go out snd buy some lca? If its do-able witch end should I cut off ?
Thanks
Personally, I'd get a set of 'Beefy' aftermarket lowers. If you cut and weld some, remember that the lowers need to be adjusted 'longer' than stock to increase caster.

did you get an alignment after the lift install
Without adjustables, not much to be aligned, is there? Center the steering wheel, which he can do himself in 5 minutes. And check the toe, which probably didn't even need to be adjusted. (can't center the axles or change the caster or camber, so...)
Old 10-30-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes you can cut and weld them. A good weld is stronger than the original metal. Cut the end that is attached to the axle and put the threaded adjusters there. Be sure to make them longer than OEM. I would make them 1/2" longer when threaded in with about 2" of adjustment. Be sure to leave plenty of threaded material inside the arm for strength; probably another 2". It isn't rocket science and amateur racers have been cutting and welding their own for decades. You could even cut off the ends and just make your own tube style arms by reusing only the ends; weld them to some tubes (press out the bushings before welding). Tubes are much easier to work with when making threaded adjustable parts, that is how I will make my control arms.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TF makes a really nice beefy set of control arms.....

Quick Reply: adjustable control arms