Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustable track bar : need help

Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question adjustable track bar : need help

I have a 2 door, with a 2.5" coil lift from RC

I recently bought a Superlift front track bar, but it did not fit, even at the shortest it was almost 1" too long...

Now I need to find a new one...

I would really like to get some input on what you would suggest ???

I looked at the northridge.ca website and they have those : JKS, FULL TRACTION AND TERRAFLEX...

Now the Jks are really not expensive but I heard they are a really tight fit for a 2.5" lift and that they flex , is that true ??

So please tell me your opinions on what your a running or what you think would be the best for me ...

Thanks for the help
Old 09-27-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

The terraflex is like double the price of the JKS, so I am inclined to go with the JKS, but I wanna make sure it will fit.. Cuz if have to spend double the price to have a perfect fit and quality, then so be it...

My axle are a little bit off-centered but not that much, so the new track bars need to be pretty much stock lenght at their shortest .....

Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the JKS and have no issues, look at my sig for details on the rest. They are quality products. I installed a TF Adj. Front Bar on my frieds JK, VERY beefy, also fit well with the 2.5", but the JKS is much cheaper.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 AM
JK Junkie

You don't need an adj. trac bar with a 2.5" coil lift
Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

I too have a JKS. No problems here.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, i also am running a 2.5'' coil lift sitting on some 35''s and the current castor level does ride a little bit 'flighty' and i had heard getting an adjustable track bar to change the castor level would help with this... is this what you're thinking here as well?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Adjustable track bar won't help with the castor. You will need adjustable upper or lower control arms for that.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
You don't need an adj. trac bar with a 2.5" coil lift
Originally Posted by planman
True.

I ran a 2.5" lift for 18 months and about 13k miles without a front adjustable trackbar without problems. It is nice to have, but not necessary.

I bought a JKS front trackbar when I installed my OME HD springs (3"+).

What you do need at 2.5" if you wheel it (especially if you have a Rubi) are longer rear swaybar links so you can move the stock rears up to the front. With longer rear swaybar links, you absolutely need either a rear trackbar relocation bracket or a rear adjustable trackbar to avoid clearance problems with your rear brakelines and swaybar/swaybar links.

I disagree.

The need for one is purely subjective and varies largely between individual Jeeps.

Whether or not you "need" one at lower lift levels depends on your jeep's axle shift, and how much offcenter you can live with.

When i put my original lift on my JK a few years ago (2" BB) my front axle was off quite a bit and it bugged me, so to me, i needed it. People told me i wouldnt need one either, they where wrong. On my particular Jeep it most definetly DID matter.

Conversely a friend of mine with the same lift i had didnt use one and his axle shift is barely perceptable; mine was extremely noticable.

If his axle is offcenter and it bothers him, then he would need it.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I disagree.

The need for one is purely subjective and varies largely between individual Jeeps.

Whether or not you "need" one at lower lift levels depends on your jeep's axle shift, and how much offcenter you can live with.

When i put my original lift on my JK a few years ago (2" BB) my front axle was off quite a bit and it bugged me, so to me, i needed it. People told me i wouldnt need one either, they where wrong. On my particular Jeep it most definetly DID matter.

Conversely a friend of mine with the same lift i had didnt use one and his axle shift is barely perceptable; mine was extremely noticable.

If his axle is offcenter and it bothers him, then he would need it.
It is off center and it does bother me

what about what he said about the rear sway bar links ????

I am leaning toward JKS and because the price is good, I am thinking of getting both, my rear axle is off center.. but just a little bit, not as much as the front... so should I get the rear sway bar links also ???

I already have the quick disco in the front ....

thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-WRANGLER
It is off center and it does bother me

what about what he said about the rear sway bar links ????

I am leaning toward JKS and because the price is good, I am thinking of getting both, my rear axle is off center.. but just a little bit, not as much as the front... so should I get the rear sway bar links also ???

I already have the quick disco in the front ....

thanks
If you already have quick discos, then swapping the rears to the front would be a step backwards.

Your swaybars should sit roughly parallel with the frame with the suspension at rest (parked) if it angles down, then longer links would be the fix. As for mechanical interference and necessity, i cant say as my current lift came with longer links and Quick discos, so I just installed them as per the directions and never really thought about it beyond that.

Quick Reply: adjustable track bar : need help