Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed PLEASE!!! what is needed after gear install???

Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed PLEASE!!! what is needed after gear install???

So i am getting my 5.13's put in my 08 jeep wrangler (of course) ... what would you all recommend me do next (MODS) to help or compliment my gear install.

Reason i ask is b/c i have read people speaking of flashpaqs and other things to caliberate the shifting points and other problems.

is there anything at all i should be aware of and anything ill need to do?

your help and knowledge is appreciated...

thank you and god bless

Running 35" trail grapplers and 20" xd monsters
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Well are you happy with your power/ pickup speed? I did 37's" 5.38 I had 5.13's for 3 weeks and changed to the 5.38's, intake and Superchip and now very happy with pickup and highway speed. I am getting 14 city and 17 hwy mpg on my '10 Rubicon 4 door.

I have a Borla muffler sitting next to me in my office but want to buy a smaller one and relocate it so I have the option for a rear winch.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

I will know after saturday but im just looking for advice on what else i need to do along with my gear install
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running 5.15's with 37's, used a procal to set the tire and gear size, before that, 35's. I just got a Superchip flashpaq and can tell you it's wayyyy better than just using a procal to get your speedo right. Best $300 power enhancement mod you can do with gears imo.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

I am currently using 5.38’s with 40” Trepadors.

Like the previous poster, I used a Procal to set up my gears & wheels - the truck performs like a dream.

i have a habit of opting for gears a little deeper than the math calls for (if the math says the equivalent ratio of stock is 5:13, I go with 5.38 etc.)

Clearly your wrangler is equipped with an auto transmission (mine is a man) so the gear & tire size set-up is critical for shift points and the avoidance of a myriad of issues.

The Procal unit does far more than just set up the tires / gears - it’s well worth the money ...
Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08 beach shadow
So i am getting my 5.13's put in my 08 jeep wrangler (of course) ... what would you all recommend me do next (MODS) to help or compliment my gear install.

Reason i ask is b/c i have read people speaking of flashpaqs and other things to caliberate the shifting points and other problems.

is there anything at all i should be aware of and anything ill need to do?

your help and knowledge is appreciated...

thank you and god bless

Running 35" trail grapplers and 20" xd monsters
Besides the Flashcal adjustments of tire and gear ratios you should be good to go! I got my 5.13's installed about 2 months ago and I've passed the 1000mi break-in period and everything seems to be great. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Read up on break in procedures. It's really hit and miss on if the shop will even advise you of such. Some just send you on your merry little way without mentioning anything. The first few heat cycles are important. That first drive should be nice and easy....and only 20 - 25 miles or so.....then stop and let everything cool down for an hour or what not. Why is this an issue for some?...cuz they live 50 miles away from the shop and just jump on the interstate and do 70mph for an hour home....not even thinking about it.

Pick your tuner of choice, and enjoy the jeep. I have a Bully Dog....can't recommend it. Have used Flashcal F5 and it was a nice unit....very user friendly and hard to jack anything up. Also, it's upgradeable to Flashpaq software if you wanted. I personally don't find a big difference in tunes myself.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 beach shadow

Yes, you should buy some type of programmer. Different ones have different features, and some make performance claims. For example, the ProCal lets you turn on your daytime running lights--not sure why anyone wants that, but some do. Anyway, you'll want to calibrate your tire size so that all of the electronics work right--speedometer, miles to empty, odometer, trip odometers, etc. If you have an automatic transmission, then you'll also want the fixes for the shift points so that your regear is optimized. But, take any claims and testimonials about horsepower/torque/gas mileage gains with a big grain of salt. Recommend you research what the various programmers actually let you control, then decide which one you want based on how much you're willing to spend. Once you install the new firmware, that programmer is locked to your vehicle. Some permit unlocking so you could reuse (and lock) to a different vehicle. But, for that reason, I'd recommend against buying used unless you know you can reach out to the person selling it and get your money returned if the unlock didn't work properly (or he just didn't bother).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-05-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
For example, the ProCal lets you turn on your daytime running lights--not sure why anyone wants that, but some do.
Some insurance companies give a break in the rates for using daytime running lights, saw it as part of a quote when I was comparing a few years back. (don't recall if it was Progressive or USAA). Might be worth looking into for those willing to run them full time.

But yeah, I have used AEV Procal, Superchips FlashCal and Flashpaq, and Diablosport InTune on my 08 auto. My opinion, setting the gear ratio/tire size gave better perceived performance than the minimal increase in hp/tq produced by the tunes. Procal is still my favorite of the bunch, but some plusses for the flashcal are the screen, and the ability to upgrade it to a flashpaq if you do decide to you want tuning at some point in the future.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

If you have a manual transmission the need for a programmer is greatly dimininshed. Like you dont need one.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed PLEASE!!! what is needed after gear install???