Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Bumper w/ winch fitment issues

Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Bumper w/ winch fitment issues

Installed my AEV bumper today and it was a PIA! I have to say it was not AEV's fault though. It just seems like it is not made to fit a winch with an integrated solonoid (mine is Mile Marker SI9500, nothing outrageous I thought). There are clearance problems with wiring in back of the winch and also in front of the winch as well. It was clear a remote sol. would have fit fine. Anyways, made things work with a lot of extra trimming/grinding/drilling and a few explatives on the side.

Don't know if anyone else has had issues but I thought I'd throw it out there since I know a lot of you guys have expressed interest in the same bumper.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Every single person I have talked to who has installed one of these has said that it was a real PITA. In fact, one of the shops I've talked to said it was the one bumper they hated installing the most. Need I say, you're not alone.

So, where are the pics?

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-20-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah i knew someone would nail me for pics... since it's dark and raining now I'll get some in the a.m.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Don't know if anyone else has had issues but I thought I'd throw it out there since I know a lot of you guys have expressed interest in the same bumper.
I installed the AEV with a Warn 9.5si. I had to grind the bumper mounts on the frame _significantly_. I didn't have to mod the AEV bumper though -- well, aside from drilling holes to mount Bosch fog lights, but that's another subject. :-)

js.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Only sort of on topic, but I've been considering getting this bumper, and just wondering what you guys did for a rear bumper? Did you keep the factory rear? I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like my front and rear to match, as I think it would look somewhat odd to have a metal front and a plastic rear. Oh and did you guys keep the AEV bumper the black it came in or did you paint it to match the body or some other paint?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Only sort of on topic, but I've been considering getting this bumper, and just wondering what you guys did for a rear bumper? Did you keep the factory rear? I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like my front and rear to match, as I think it would look somewhat odd to have a metal front and a plastic rear. Oh and did you guys keep the AEV bumper the black it came in or did you paint it to match the body or some other paint?
AEV is creating a rear bumper with tire carrier to match the front. I am assuming that it should be at SEMA next week, and be released shortly after. I would assume that the prices are going to be higher than most rear bumpers with tire carriers, but at the same time it is stamped steel, and imho more aesthetically pleasing because then you can get it to better match the body lines.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the Warn 9.0RC winch which has a smaller footprint, other than having to move the holes for the lights and drill new holes where the smaller winch installs, the install wasn't all that difficult. I did have a lot of work involved in making the Road Master tow brackets fit around the winch plate.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Pic as promised

If you look closely you can see where I had to trim the light tabs to fit around the solonoid housing. In addition, the wiring protuding from the back of the housing is rubbing on the grille, and there is ZERO clearance between the front of the housing and the bumper. That thing is pinched in there.
I'd recommend a remote solonoid winch to anybody getting this bumper.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

beardiron
Can you post pictures of your AEV bumper with the Roadmaster tow brackets?
I plan on using the same setup and the bumper should arrive this week. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

god that bumper is sexy!!!

bout how much does it weigh???

Quick Reply: AEV Bumper w/ winch fitment issues