Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV High Steer

Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV High Steer

Anyone have a write-up of AEV's high steer kit? I find many people using it, but no one showing the install.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

also interested in a write up. Would love to hear how this kit is working out
Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't take any pics of the install but it's pretty easy, just follow the instructions, sorta.

The new track bar brackets are pretty nice. They fit up to the axle nicely and the only problems I had with them were the holes for the old and new track bar bolts needed to be reamed out a little. Also don't tighten all of the mounting bolts until you have all of the bolts installed.

The new drag link is a stock part from a right hand drive JK. Works great. Drilling out the tapered hole on the steering knuckle was an adventure. The instructions say to use a high torque drill on the 7/8" bit. So I used a 1/2" Milwaukee drill with a brand new 7/8" bit. The bit kept grabbing the soft metal of the knuckle and jerking the drill out of my hands. OUCH. The tapered insert fit in the hole fine and tightened up just like it was supposed to.

The new steering stabilizer looks kinda goofy being yellow, so I painted it black. Make sure the bracket is attached to the tie rod in the correct position or the u-bolts will snag the shell of the stabilizer and squash it.

The performance of the high steer kit has been outstanding so far. No bump steer at all and steering feel is much better than stock. I don't have any experience with any other high steer kits so I don't know if it's any better or worse than the others, but I like it.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
I didn't take any pics of the install but it's pretty easy, just follow the instructions, sorta.

The new track bar brackets are pretty nice. They fit up to the axle nicely and the only problems I had with them were the holes for the old and new track bar bolts needed to be reamed out a little. Also don't tighten all of the mounting bolts until you have all of the bolts installed.

The new drag link is a stock part from a right hand drive JK. Works great. Drilling out the tapered hole on the steering knuckle was an adventure. The instructions say to use a high torque drill on the 7/8" bit. So I used a 1/2" Milwaukee drill with a brand new 7/8" bit. The bit kept grabbing the soft metal of the knuckle and jerking the drill out of my hands. OUCH. The tapered insert fit in the hole fine and tightened up just like it was supposed to.

The new steering stabilizer looks kinda goofy being yellow, so I painted it black. Make sure the bracket is attached to the tie rod in the correct position or the u-bolts will snag the shell of the stabilizer and squash it.

The performance of the high steer kit has been outstanding so far. No bump steer at all and steering feel is much better than stock. I don't have any experience with any other high steer kits so I don't know if it's any better or worse than the others, but I like it.
Can you take some pics of the setup? Looking at the the axle and frame end.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry it took so long. Laptop tried to burn the house down so I had to get a new one.

Shop assistant helping with install
Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
Sorry it took so long. Laptop tried to burn the house down so I had to get a new one.
Hey, your pics didn't show, so I reposted with the pics...thanks for the pics, I just ordered this today.

Shop assistant helping with install

Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

I will say the kit makes a HUGE difference.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started the install of this last night along with the RK tie rod.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asjackman
Anyone have a write-up of AEV's high steer kit? I find many people using it, but no one showing the install.
*If* you are just interested in comments on the high steer kit, it may be difficult to quantify it because from the pictures (identified by the light gray coils) and comments I have seen many of us are running that kit as part of the AEV premium lift. The suspension and steering are so interconnected it will be hard to separate their performance.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 4.5" lift - Superlift with spacers in the front. I have EVO C-Gussets and Tera-Flex sway bar links. In another tread we have talked about the C-gussets and possilble trimming to make the AEV High Steer kit fit but it looks like I will have to use shorter links too???? - How does this kit fit with the Tera-Flex quick sway bar disconnects???

Quick Reply: AEV High Steer