Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV/Nth Degree 3.5" lift...anybody?

Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by therza
I am running the 4.5 AEV lift and I really like it. The handling is great. In addition I had the opportunity to do a test drive with Jim Frens of AEV Nth degree in a JKU with the 3.5" lift, 35s and a hemi. He really did some amazing things with that Jeep. Turns and other high speed manuevers I would only try in a Vette! And the Jeep never lost composure and handled extremely well!

You will not regret going with the AEV lift.
Yall do any drifting?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnygresham
They jus got a bunch of new springs did u get yours yet?
They were just waiting on the shocks to arrive and David said hopefully it will be shipping out from AEV by the end of the week. HEY... that's tomorrow!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put my 3.5" lift on this week and here are my impressions so far.
The on road handling is improved over stock. The rear doesn't seem to wollow around as much driving around corners. Off road handling is GREAT compared to stock. I took it through a section of desert with lots of woops and bumps and it seemed like the suspension was bottomless. Bumps that I would get air on before were soaked up allowing the tires to maintain contact with the trail. Berms on some of the cycle trails that used to cause a tire to lift were driven over with ease. The ride is not harsh at all. I had seen on another thread that the Nth kit rode stiff but mine rides just slightly stiffer than stock. Still have the stock tires.
The installation was pretty much typical (for me!) When loosening one of the control arms I guess I was getting cocky and let the wrench slip off the bolt and it hit me smack on the upper lip. I thought I had busted off my top 2 teeth but the teeth were fine but my lip swelled up with a big purple bruise. Then, while winding up the cord on my drill I was winding too fast and the plug flew up and thwacked me in the sack. OUCH! The kit was complete and the instructions were easy to understand. I was surprised at how soft the control arm mount material was on the axle. Time to install those control arm skids I got at the M&G! It took like 3 seconds to cut out the slots for the cam bolts. I'll give the cam bolts a try and see if they stay tight. If not I'll pick up some JKS arms (I like the nice quiet rubber bushings).
Things I don't like: The price! It's a nice complete kit but for $1600 there should be a set of front upper adjustable control arms at least. The track bar relocation brackets were kind of a pain to install. The instructions have you install and tighten the back half and then install and tighten the front half. Unfortunately the holes don't line up exactly for you to put the old and new track bar bolts through both brackets. I loosened everything back up and the bolts went through with a little filing of the holes. The brake line relocation brackets are well designed but they're still kind of cheesy. The rear sway bar links came with zerk fittings and the instructions said to install them but there were no drilled and tapped holes to install them into.
I'll update this if there are any major changes in performance but so far I'm happy with my purchase.

Update: Now that I've got a few miles on it I've noticed that the ride is stiffer than I initially thought. I've intentionally hit rough sections of pavement and you can feel the bumps signicantly more than with the stock suspension. Not anywhere near as rough as the 4.5" RE lift I had on my XJ, just stiffer than stock. Large bump compliance is excellent as is directional stability in a panic stop. No issues with the cam bolts so far but I haven't wheeled it hard yet.

Last edited by Bradlybob; 08-30-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Quick Reply: AEV/Nth Degree 3.5" lift...anybody?