Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Snorkel Install?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Snorkel Install?

Does anyone have any tips on installing this kit?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Measure twice, cut once. I am considering this mod very soon.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was quoted 300 for the install if this helps..lol does anyone know how this effects gas mileage? Ive heard mpg horror stories after a snorkel install
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by klutz1001
i was quoted 300 for the install if this helps..lol does anyone know how this effects gas mileage? Ive heard mpg horror stories after a snorkel install

Never heard of it... but X2 if those stories exist...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I did the install myself... easy peasy. The hardest part was growing a set big enough to start cutting into your hood!

Okay, now seriously. Get a metal cutting whole saw and a really good CORDED drill to drill the two corner holes. Honestly drilling those holes with the hole saw was the hardest part. Don't spend too long in one place or take a few breaks while drilling as to not get the metal too hot and start the paint bubbling around the area of the cut.

Use a high speed angle grinder with a metal cutting disc to finish the job. That will make short work of the cutting process. (20 dollars at Harbor Frieght).

Make sure to go over the cut metal with some primer and or paint and if you have some handy, cut you a piece of caterpillar grommet to cover the edge.

I did not use the included rivets for the hood cover, instead I went to Home Depot and bought these little stainless hex head bolts, lock washers and nuts that turned out really nice and added to a "bead locker" look.

The install of the snorkel to the airbox is a little clumsy so having a second hand to help you with bolting in of the unit will make it easier. That part of the job is pretty straight forward and easy. Make sure you follow the instructions and RTV everything to seal it up real nice.

GOOD LUCK!

I love my AEV Snorkel and consider it a small price to pay to avoid a hydro-lock situation. I did not notice any change to my MPG, but then again, I drive it like a scalded ape and get shitty MPG anyway. AEV made a great product with a really reasonable price here and you will enjoy that snorkel!

Here is a pic of my Snorked Jeep:

I uploaded a snorkel close-up for you, not the greatest angle to see the hex head bolts, but it is all I have:

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 04-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

USAF That looks awesome! Nice jeep...real tough and rugged looking!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

just take your time cover the area with painters tape. i used the thick blue stuff. marker the area driller the corners with a hole bit then cut the rest with a wheel. tool about a half hour. directions are very straight forward.

as stated earlier measure twice then check for a third time then cut.

cheers
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
USAF That looks awesome! Nice jeep...real tough and rugged looking!
Thanks!! It has taken a few years, but it is starting to take shape.

Originally Posted by Offroadme
just take your time cover the area with painters tape. i used the thick blue stuff. marker the area driller the corners with a hole bit then cut the rest with a wheel. tool about a half hour. directions are very straight forward.

as stated earlier measure twice then check for a third time then cut.

cheers
Great points, I forgot to point that stuff out. I did the same things too!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnny Boy
Does anyone have any tips on installing this kit?
mine was easy hardest part was cutting a 35,000$ jeep with 2,000 miles on it.....you get over it real quick though. we've drilled tons of holes in the body since lol
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
I did the install myself... easy peasy. The hardest part was growing a set big enough to start cutting into your hood!

Okay, now seriously. Get a metal cutting whole saw and a really good CORDED drill to drill the two corner holes. Honestly drilling those holes with the hole saw was the hardest part. Don't spend too long in one place or take a few breaks while drilling as to not get the metal too hot and start the paint bubbling around the area of the cut.

Use a high speed angle grinder with a metal cutting disc to finish the job. That will make short work of the cutting process. (20 dollars at Harbor Frieght).

Make sure to go over the cut metal with some primer and or paint and if you have some handy, cut you a piece of caterpillar grommet to cover the edge.

I did not use the included rivets for the hood cover, instead I went to Home Depot and bought these little stainless hex head bolts, lock washers and nuts that turned out really nice and added to a "bead locker" look.

The install of the snorkel to the airbox is a little clumsy so having a second hand to help you with bolting in of the unit will make it easier. That part of the job is pretty straight forward and easy. Make sure you follow the instructions and RTV everything to seal it up real nice.

GOOD LUCK!

I love my AEV Snorkel and consider it a small price to pay to avoid a hydro-lock situation. I did not notice any change to my MPG, but then again, I drive it like a scalded ape and get shitty MPG anyway. AEV made a great product with a really reasonable price here and you will enjoy that snorkel!

Here is a pic of my Snorked Jeep:

I uploaded a snorkel close-up for you, not the greatest angle to see the hex head bolts, but it is all I have:

USAF_GroundRat - Nice install mate!!!
I have a question for you. How did you go fitting the snorkel with your roof racks?
The reason i ask is i'm keen on fitting AEV snorkel with Rugged Ridge Windshield Mount Light Bar (http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/jeep-light-bars.php)
Has anyone done this and can you post some pics?
I have a 2.8L RHD Diesel in Australia

Thanks

Quick Reply: AEV Snorkel Install?