Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aFe catback exhaust systems

Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aFe catback exhaust systems

Does anybody know the difference between the two aFe catbacks? Besides one having the muffler closer to the engine and the other towards the rear, is there any difference in noise level inside/outside? Do these systems create drone?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...6L&&brandID=63

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...6L&&brandID=63

Also, what's the difference between these two Y-Pipes (despite the obvious delete of downpipe and loop whatever, what does this actually cause?)

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L&&brandID=103

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L&&brandID=103

TIA
Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Concerning the two different CAT back exhaust im actually wondering the same.

I have the AFE Y-Pipe in stalled on my 2012 JKU.

One is just the Y-Pipe, the other is the Y-Pipe plus loop delete.
This Y-Pipe is only needed if you plan to lift your 2012 JK more than 2.5". It redirects your exhaust further back behind the cross member in front of the transfer case.

There are a lot of threads that talk about this but the general consensus is that the fine people at jeep spent millions of dollars in R&D to decide that the loop needs to be there...its some propeller head jargon about the the exhaust tubes needing to be the same length so everything works properly...im sure someone will give you the science later.

My understanding is that the only issues the loop will give you is if you want to install a long arm kit.

Also subscribed.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
Concerning the two different CAT back exhaust im actually wondering the same.

I have the AFE Y-Pipe in stalled on my 2012 JKU.

One is just the Y-Pipe, the other is the Y-Pipe plus loop delete.
This Y-Pipe is only needed if you plan to lift your 2012 JK more than 2.5". It redirects your exhaust further back behind the cross member in front of the transfer case.

There are a lot of threads that talk about this but the general consensus is that the fine people at jeep spent millions of dollars in R&D to decide that the loop needs to be there...its some propeller head jargon about the the exhaust tubes needing to be the same length so everything works properly...im sure someone will give you the science later.

My understanding is that the only issues the loop will give you is if you want to install a long arm kit.

Also subscribed.

Thanks, I understand now.

bump for cat back info
Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Just another bump. I'd like to know if there's a performance and/or sound difference in the placement of the exhaust (before axle or after axle).
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeGunner
Just another bump. I'd like to know if there's a performance and/or sound difference in the placement of the exhaust (before axle or after axle).
As far as I know (not much), the cat back has wider tubing than stock. This lessens back pressure; now....I have no idea if less back pressure helps the Pentastar to push more or not.

Quick Reply: aFe catback exhaust systems