Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

After market JK Steering ?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market JK Steering ?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, I have a new JK Rubicon with a Rock Krawler 3.5" lift with AEV beadlocks and 35" Procomp Extreme Mud terrains. I went to Rausch Creek in Pa. this past weekend and bent the tie rod up a bit which also trashed the steering stabilizer. There's not much clearance there.

Does anyone know of any flip kits and or high strength tie rods available for the JK as of this time?

Here's some free advice for anyone wheeling with the electric sway bar disconnect. If your JK is lifted with longer front sway bar links you should dissconnect them if your wheeling hard trails. In my lift kit instuctions, It offers pins and or a nut to allow for manually disconnecting the sway bar.

When you have a full droop of a front wheel the sway bar drops below the tierod and, when you turn the steering wheel the tierod hits the sway bar link and bends the end link into a horse shoe. And I'm sure it also bent the tie rod as well. This all can be avoided by disconnecting and tieing up the sway bar like you would with a TJ.

This only happens with longer sway bar links and will not interfere with stock links. I called the lift company and they too are aware of this. I told them that they should mention this in their instructions. After all most of the Rubicons are going to get lifted and wheeled . Again this only effects JK's with electric sway bar disconnects and extended front sway bar links.

So if anyone has any info on aftermarket steering componets for the JK please let me and everyone else know.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by Bob Coco; 08-22-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

First, Welcome to the forum, I have learned more from some of the guys on here than I have in a few years worth of wheeling. About your steering. You might want to make sure your tie rod is bent before you buy a new one. I think I experienced what your talking about with the steering stabilizer hitting. Did it make it hard to turn the wheel to the right? I had this happen and after not finding any aftermarket tie rods went to the dealer. Turns out I just had a loose track bar bolt and it was letting everything move to much. After retightening no more problems. However I would like to see a high steer setup as well.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found this, but have no idea if or when it may be available...

rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=361&Pn=3499&XnPath=173,352,361&Vi d=D28C563251840

JK CHROMOLY DRAG LINK
Part #RE2610
The Rubicon Express Chromoly JK draglink is designed to convert the stock mounting location from underneath the knuckles to on top of the knuckles. This will improve the steering handling and geometry angles on JK vehicles that have used a track bar drop down bracket with their lift.

Note: The use of a tapered reamer will be needed.

Add To Shopping Cart
Qty Price
$199.95

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-17-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks Eracer 76

That's not my problem. I have a drop pitman arm installed along with my track bar relocate bracket so I don't have bump steer. I am looking for a stronger tierod and a flip setup. If I find a tierod flip then the flipped drag link might help.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by Bob Coco; 08-21-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

i have the same problem there is nothing right now on the market. i bought one for a tj and im going to get lenghtened to 59" and repowdered coated i bought the tj rockkrawler one
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob Coco
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, I have a new JK Rubicon with a Rock Krawler 3.5" lift with AEV beadlocks and 35" Procomp Extreme Mud terrains. I went to Rausch Creek in Pa. this past weekend and bent the tie rod up a bit which also trashed the steering stabilizer. There's not much clearance there.

Does anyone know of any flip kits and or high strength tie rods available for the JK as of this time?

Here's some free advice for anyone wheeling with the electric sway bar disconnect. If your JK is lifted with longer front sway bar links you should dissconnect them if your wheeling hard trails. In my lift kit instuctions, It offers pins and or a nut to allow for manually disconnecting the sway bar.

When you have a full droop of a front wheel the sway bar drops below the tierod and, when you turn the steering wheel the tierod hits the sway bar link and bends the end link into a horse shoe. And I'm sure it also bent the tie rod as well. This all can be avoided by disconnecting and tieing up the sway bar like you would with a TJ.

This only happens with longer sway bar links and will not interfere with stock links. I called the lift company and they too are aware of this. I told them that they should mention this in their instructions. After all most of the Rubicons are going to get lifted and wheeled . Again this only effects JK's with electric sway bar disconnects and extended front sway bar links.

So if anyone has any info on aftermaret steering componets for the JK please let me and everyone else know.

Thanks, Bob

You weren't the rescue Green 2 door Rubi were you? You and some friends attempted to go in at the top and it was roped off and then I spotted the Jk on a trailer at the end of the run????
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is the first I have heard of this problem. Anyone seeing this with FT or superlift?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

"When you have a full droop of a front wheel the sway bar drops below the tierod and, when you turn the steering wheel the tierod hits the sway bar link and bends the end link into a horse shoe."

3" TeraFlex with the TF quick disconnect. I did bend the drivers side sway bar link extension...also pulled it off the lower mounting pin. I was going to use the rear link extensions up front but now I might just order the JKS system and remove it for wheeling. This makes the most sense.

Last edited by awfrode; 08-21-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awfrode
"When you have a full droop of a front wheel the sway bar drops below the tierod and, when you turn the steering wheel the tierod hits the sway bar link and bends the end link into a horse shoe."

3" TeraFlex with the TF quick disconnect. I did bend the drivers side sway bar link extension...also pulled it off the lower mounting pin. I was going to use the rear link extensions up front but now I might just order the JKS system and remove it for wheeling. This makes the most sense.
Crap. That pretty much makes the rubi auto sway bar disconnect worthless.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Quadratec Rep

Default You know I will take a look at this tommorow!

I have 2 horse show links on my desk! I figured it was from over extending and reversing the link backwards that made it fold. I will take a look at what you are talking about. because this actually makes more sense! I have been manually disconnecting my sway bars since the seconded horseshoe! that only thing the auto disconnect is good for now is reconnecting the links on uneven ground!

Thank's for the input!

So you think super short would be better? Like the stock ones?

Quick Reply: After market JK Steering ?