JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Aftermarket Exhaust Question.... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/aftermarket-exhaust-question-3133/)

ccdjeep 02-10-2007 08:16 PM

Aftermarket Exhaust Question....

for those of you who have swapped out your mufflers from stock. Are you getting any Engine Warning lights or trouble lights on your dash after installing the mufflers? I had a few friends in high school that swapped out the stock mufflers on their Z71 Silverados and a check engine light stayed on For FOREVER thereafter. I am putting Magnaflow on mine when I get my income tax money back and was just curious. Thanks.

dhoffroad 02-10-2007 08:29 PM

nope no lights or anything....it's all good

JKMAN 02-10-2007 08:48 PM

Check engine lights after exhaust?? Were they cutting off there catalytic converter?? I have replaced countless exhausts frome header back and never had this issue. Granted, first time for everything, but this sounds strange!!?? Unless they cut put on straight pipes and cut the 02 senors off I can not see any reason for this happening. There should not be ANY problems with a cat back system. If you knock out cat or get get straight pipes make sure you get ones w/ input for O2 sensor and you should have no worries.

ccdjeep 02-11-2007 01:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I was curious. Never put pipes on anything with a computer on it. NEVER owned anything newer than a 79 lol.

As for the Silverados with the check engine lights. No they didn't cut the cats or the 02 sensors. Just flowmaster mufflers (and mellow tones) (mellow tones sounded shitty BTW) and tips. And bing there comes the damn light. Every guy and even one girl who swapped out their exhaust on their Silverados had that problem. Which kinda made me skittish about doing it to my JK.

Thanks again.

woolf 02-11-2007 03:48 AM

They were doing something more than just swapping their mufflers. I just traded in my z71 with dual ten series flowmasters. No problem ever. Now my 99 TA with long tube headers and true dual exhaust that has an xpipe with no cats has the light on until I break down and tune it. The light comes on because the second 02 sensor is either not in, or is getting a reading that would make it appear as though the cat is not there or broken. It is in the cat removal, not muffler exchange.

JKJeepDad 02-11-2007 08:52 AM

No Problems here with the Magnaflow on the JK.

ericdewayne 02-11-2007 09:02 AM

got true duals on my JK and no light.

Rubidon 02-11-2007 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JKJeepDad (Post 30248)
No Problems here with the Magnaflow on the JK.

Did you notice any better performance ? How's the sound ? and how much?
Thanx.

woolf 02-11-2007 11:15 AM

Search for the terms "dyno magnaflow"