Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Steering Shaft..

Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Steering Shaft..

Well as you know many of you have had the "clunky steering" and had to grease the shaft only for it to come back again. I finally contact Flaming River to see if they could design something and they recommended I send them my old steering shaft. I sent it out today to them with this letter. Lets hope we see something from them soon!

Flaming River,

Enclosed please find the lower intermediate steering shaft for a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK. As per our email discussion, many forum members on both Jeepforum and JK-Forum are looking for a fix/redesign of this shaft.

The problem appears to be where the two splines meet, under the rubber boot. Over time the grease from the factory in there breaks down, due to the shaft being so close to engine header and eventually you get a horrible “knocking” that can be felt in both the steering wheel and gas pedal.

Many have injected fifth wheel grease under the boot which seems to remedy the problem, however it is only temporary until it breaks down again. I have enclosed some photos from JK-Forum.com, where one member shows where the problem is and how he greased the shaft. Please ignore the grease zerk fitting on the shaft, I installed that myself in an attempt to get some grease in there. I look forward to seeing what you can do and can be contacted at the email or phone number below.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet lets hope they jump on it so we can all get one
Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want one, tired of spraying that 5th wheel grease every few weeks, it's a sumbi!*h to get to! Gotta be a contortionist to get the straw to stay on the can and not just spray air into the boot.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Shaft..