Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air filter

Old 11-16-2006, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

hey guys i was on another website and there are 2 different air filters

airaid and aem

any preferences or major advantages/disadvantages that anyone knows about?

thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In all honesty, I have yet to see an air intake system really do a whole lot to improve the performace of your engine. Sure they look great and maybe give you a tiny boost but nothing really significant. Also, depending on where you like to wheel, air intakes like these can allow fine dust into your engine and a pre-filter should be used... but then, that kind of blocks the air flow and defeats the purpose doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Having said all that, if you've got the money to spend, I'd go with the AEM
Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 AM
JK Newbie

A noticeable increase in perfomance with a high flow air filter will only be noticed when the filter is used in conjunction with high flow exhaust. The engine cannot take in any more air than it can expell. They are almost worthless without a good exhaust system.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with JeepYak. No one change, like an air filter change, will do much of anything noticable. Kind of like adding a huge amp without doing something about the speakers too. It's the combination of a bunch of things that add up. With that said, adding taller aggressive tires will cancel out any small gain an air filter would get you.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Just read this:
Originally Posted by jeepguyinMS
I had mine on the dyno last friday when I had the AEM Brute Force intake installed. The pics are on another JK board. The moderator is doing the write up so I don't want to spoil his story, but we did see a gain in both HP and TQ across the board. I'd love to see what the Jet module puts out in real numbers, but I would also like to wait and see what the competition comes up with. FzyPchz what kind of exhaust are you putting on your JK?
Sounds like there will be some real numbers available soon. The increase in HP & torque added to what ever can be gained with good exhaust should result in a real difference in feel and not just numbers on a dyno sheet. I'm looking forward to all the info
Old 11-17-2006, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bad Dawg
Just read this:

Sounds like there will be some real numbers available soon. The increase in HP & torque added to what ever can be gained with good exhaust should result in a real difference in feel and not just numbers on a dyno sheet. I'm looking forward to all the info
What board did you get that info from??
Old 11-17-2006, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEM dyno'd in at a 6-8 HP Increase and a 10 increase in torque.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't even bother trying to post another board site, it's only going to get edited...

I am so looking forward to these numbers. I want to know the big difference BEFORE I start buying parts. Right now, the Avenger supercharger is the way I'll probably go, along with a good aftermarket exhaust. But if people notice significant improvements, or other options open up to make a big difference in the power output, I'm willing to go another route. (I put a Paxton supercharger on my 92' Z71 Sportside pickup at just over 1000 miles, the power gains were just plain silly. Tire spin on the road was a major problem trying to get the power to the ground.)

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Quick Reply: air filter