Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Filter Mod!!! WHY!!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Mod!!! WHY!!

I just checked my intake. I have previously had a Volant Air Intake on my F-150. After looking at the intake system; I said "hell, slap a K&N air filter and you have a cold air intake". Most airfilters are located back on top of the engine. This one is located where all of the aftermarket filters go.

I would like to contack AEV and purchase the screens for the side and cut into the hood.

Any Ideas?

-Jimmy
Old 07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

. .

Last edited by 4GvnSnr; 07-04-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

There are other differences besides the location of the stock airbox. The aftermarket intakes have smooth intake tubes that allow the intake air to flow better and faster to the TB. The stock tube creates a choppier air stream.

You will get better airflow with a K&N replacement filter over the ordinary disposable filter and it will help some.

If you can get AEV to sell you a screen, you will have to cut the hood. Cutting into the hood will bring about some possible issues for you. You will need to use paint to prevent rust at the cutout edge. This shouldn't be much of a problem though. It may also further weaken the already flimsey OEM hood. If AEV won't sell you the screen, you may be able to find something else to use. You may want to consider buying the AEV hood. It should reduce engine compartment heat overall, as opposed to just having air come into one vent as you propose.

I would caution you to think about what you are proposing for a while so that you are sure you really want to cut up your hood, because once you slice into it, there is no turning back.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hey!

Thanks for the response and advice. I thought about buying the hood. I just received the bumper and winch plate. Everything was top quality. My only reservation with the hood is the lack of windshield bumpers and tie down.

Once again, thanks for the info on the air tubes. Makes good sense. I believe I will take your advice and order the hood. I guess I was just trying to do the mod cheep. However, as you said cutting into my hood is serious.

Thanks!
-Jimmy

Quick Reply: Air Filter Mod!!! WHY!!