Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AIRAID CAI Top plate is missing

Old 01-30-2014, 05:20 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIRAID CAI Top plate is missing

Hey everyone,

I just got a new (to me) '12 Sport that came with an AIRAID CAI. Problem is, it's missing the top "plate" seen http://www.quadratec.com/products/17008_011X_PG.htm I already emailed AIRAID hoping to see if I can buy just the plate. Has anyone had luck doing something like this? I'm just afraid of hydro locking the engine when I go offroading. There are quite a few deep puddles on the trail I frequent. If I can't get a replacement piece I'll either have to find a stock unit or I might just buy a snorkel. Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold air intakes do not mix with deep puddles, a snorkel is a better idea. That should be a sufficient amount of information to get you moving.

See if they'll send out the plate or maybe fabricate one out of plexiglass and put a seal on it. Sell the CAI and apply those funds towards a snorkel.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

I have tried to buy other items from airaid, with no luck. They wanted paper work to show that I had bought it new. It was a no go for me. good luck
Old 01-30-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

You'll need a stock unit for the snorkel. My araid is open top also but designed that way. Sure you have the right model your referencing?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Picture of current setup?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same intake as you, I bought it a year ago. I left the plate cause I liked the intake sound haha sounds like a beast at wot! I haven't had any issues with it off, but I don't go in deep water. You should be fine either way
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

the airaid for the 12 and up is essentially the same as a stock intake. Also an AEV snorkle is compatible with airaid 12 and up versions. If your cover top is missing you could easily make one out of plexiglass or plastic to get you by.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
Cold air intakes do not mix with deep puddles, a snorkel is a better idea. That should be a sufficient amount of information to get you moving.

See if they'll send out the plate or maybe fabricate one out of plexiglass and put a seal on it. Sell the CAI and apply those funds towards a snorkel.
Yeah, I figured a snorkel is a better idea but I'm not sure what type I could get that doesn't require me to cut my hood. In addition, I need to figure out which will work with the Airaid and which require the stock airbox.

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Picture of current setup?
No picture yet. I'm at work, so perhaps I can snap something tonight. However, it looks just like the picture in the link I posted minus the gray/silver top plate.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a AIRAID on my 2012 now for almost 2 years running without the top plate on it. Now I could see if you like to play in creeks and mud that running this way would be a problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Rugged ridge I believe doesn't cut the hood. River raider doesn't cut the hood either but you do cut the fender.

Quick Reply: AIRAID CAI Top plate is missing