Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AIRAID Throttle Body Spacer for JK with V6 Engine

Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
I misread the title. JP has an article about intakes not spacers. My but.
the last dyno chart was the AEM intake with and without the spacer. they net 1 pony, right around 4500rpm
Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 AM
TEV
JK Freak

dynos are not reliable, you can dyno the same car 3 times in a row and it will show differences of up to 15hp. They usually do 3 pulls and give you the average. When do them on different days or even a different point the day where the temperature, pressure, humidity, enigine temps may have changed you might as well just forget a solid comparison. If it says it does 1-10hp you can just account that to the dyno and say it does nothing. These little engine mods are a complete waste of money. There are only 3 engine mods that are really worth the money horsepower wise. Programming (and not those chips off ebay), Forced induction, and or more displacement (engine swap).
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEV
dynos are not reliable, you can dyno the same car 3 times in a row and it will show differences of up to 15hp. They usually do 3 pulls and give you the average. When do them on different days or even a different point the day where the temperature, pressure, humidity, enigine temps may have changed you might as well just forget a solid comparison. If it says it does 1-10hp you can just account that to the dyno and say it does nothing. These little engine mods are a complete waste of money. There are only 3 engine mods that are really worth the money horsepower wise. Programming (and not those chips off ebay), Forced induction, and or more displacement (engine swap).
Don't forget a new lopey bumpstick and a little head work, this too will do wonders
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone know if this spacer will silence the whistle that the AIRAID CAI gives off at about 2000 rpm, If so then its worth the money to me.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Spacers usually increase the whistle that come from th intake.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
G16
JK Enthusiast

No it won't.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes it will
Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 PM
JK Freak

nope. it'll still whistle.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 AM
G16
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G16
No it won't.

I should have made reference to ranterbul's question. Adding the spacer does not get rid of whistle if you have one.

I do not have a whistle with my air raid filter. When I added the spacer I gained a whistle It's faint I can't hear it when I'm driving but it's obvious when I open the hood. The installation instructions metion the whistle means the spacers working.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Airaid spacers are only going to improve your low-range performance. Like wheeling, towing, taking off from a stop, etc. When you are at higher speeds, the airaid spacer is allowing the air to pass over the ridges with little disturbance, so it really does nothing at higher speeds.

The theory behind the turbulence effect is sound, if the turbulence is actually creating a beneficial aircharge that will actually force more air into the intake and the combustion chambers. After all, that's what a Supercharger does... However, as you increase the incoming volume of air, the ECU will adjust the ratio to include more fuel in the mixture. And without more spark to ignite the extra fuel, you will be sending the fuel out of your high-flow exhaust.

The Vortex product is crap, because it blocks more airflow than it actually allows to pass...
The Helix-bore spacers are crap, because they don't ever really cram any more aircharge into the intake as they are too straight-through with their design.

However, the Airaid spacer has enough of an effect along with their CAI that enough aircharge is actually created at slow speeds, and it won't hinder any faster moving air that is pulled into the intake. Meaning, that when you have both the CAI and the Airaid spacer, you should actually gain an improvemnent in the low-end torque and thus have slight savings at the gas pump.
That is until the ECU balances the air/fuel-ratio and you are getting more power with relatively the same fuel-mileage or worse... The ECU reads the input constantly, keeping the Stoichiometric Ratio at 14.7:1...

Unless you get a chip that will increase your spark, or an ignition upgrade, you will use more fuel when you add more air to the engine.
However, I will share a little secret with you all....
If you are adding more air into the engine, as with a CAI, then you can enlarge the gap in your sparkplugs to actually burn more of the existing volume of gas sent into the combustion chambers. Or you can change to rapidfire plugs that have multiple sparks per fire than your typical plugs. Just don't gap your plugs too far. Just a little at a time. I wouldn't gap more than .05"....... That should be plenty to keep the ECU happy with the spent-gas readings from the O2 sensor.

Last edited by Rubidozer; 05-13-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: AIRAID Throttle Body Spacer for JK with V6 Engine