Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment issue after accident, looking for suspension guru's help.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Alignment issue after accident, looking for suspension guru's help.

Hey all,
My son got run off the road in his '16 JKUWW. Sent it to body shop for repairs, and evidently the axle housing or C's must be damaged ?
The Jeep pulls to the right, and is cupping the inside of the right side tire.
Wife took it for alignment and they said they could not fix it, but did not elaborate on what was wrong, but that some local shop could fix it with 1200 bucks worth of aftermarket stuff, wtf?
The super, "we can fix anything" shop, before asking any questions, told her it needed adjustable control arms and bla bla bla, over the phone, not even seeing the Jeep. good place to stay away from.
The JKU has an AEV 2.5" kit with GCB's. Before the accident, it handled factory stock, no pulling, no tire wear, it drove perfect.
I am attaching the print out from the alignment shop for comments. Should I try to get this in spec with adjustable ball joints, or do we need a new housing ?
Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	671230  

Last edited by jdinny; 05-06-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to me like the axle is smiling.
That housing may be beyond help. Luckily a stock housing empty is usually pretty cheap, usually on Craig's and the like for a few hundred tops.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
Looks to me like the axle is smiling.
That housing may be beyond help. Luckily a stock housing empty is usually pretty cheap, usually on Craig's and the like for a few hundred tops.
Copy the "smiling axle"
Never heard that one before
Thanks for confirming the bent housing.
I will start looking
Old 05-06-2017, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And while adjustable ball joints might be a good fix, finding a stock axle empty with bearing caps like one posted in the billboard here for just a tad more. . . And getting a straight housing. Maybe.

If it's a quick fix you're after I don't see why the adjustable bj's wouldn't work. For me, I'd rather cut it loose, especially if it's gonna be running through 250 dollar tires.

Sadly, these are the choices we get dealt sometimes. Some may say go all in with an aftermarket housing but if that's obviously not your intent it's a bit extreme.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agree. I am looking for a good/straight housing, or a takeout with 3.73's.
Thanks
Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although offset balljoints etc may correct for the alignment t it will not correct for exaggerated axle seal wear inherent with bent axle tubes.
A new housing is the preferred fix. Beware used housings. They may be bent as well.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had to replace my housing because of the smile. Went with the Teraflex with the 1/2 wall tubes, easy set up and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Although offset balljoints etc may correct for the alignment t it will not correct for exaggerated axle seal wear inherent with bent axle tubes.
A new housing is the preferred fix. Beware used housings. They may be bent as well.
Point taken. Gonna buy a new housing
Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinny
Point taken. Gonna buy a new housing
Good call. If you have any trouble finding a good one, I have several good D30 housings right now, I might even have one loaded up with 3.73s ready to go.

If you got one from me, I would definitely recommend some C Gussets to go with it, I could also load it up with some fresh balljoints, ect as well. Obviously shipping will be a little bit of a bummer, but I wanted to throw it out there. I would guarantee a straight and true axle that is plug and play.

Good luck on your search!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
Good call. If you have any trouble finding a good one, I have several good D30 housings right now, I might even have one loaded up with 3.73s ready to go.

If you got one from me, I would definitely recommend some C Gussets to go with it, I could also load it up with some fresh balljoints, ect as well. Obviously shipping will be a little bit of a bummer, but I wanted to throw it out there. I would guarantee a straight and true axle that is plug and play.

Good luck on your search!
Hey hows it going.
Shoot me a pm with what you have available. I am definitely interested
thanks,
John

Quick Reply: Alignment issue after accident, looking for suspension guru's help.