Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another backspacing question...

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another backspacing question...

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation. I'm getting ready to buy some new wheels and tires. The wheels are 18's with 5" backspacing and the wheels are going to be 33's until I can afford to do more to my jeep.

My questions are: What size tire are people getting that will guarantee I wont rub and how can I estimate how far the tires will stick out past the fenders? This is a concern to me because in PA the tire must be covered by the fender

If spacers are needed I may buy the 1.5" wider xenon flat flares to make it all work.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

with a set of 33's and 5" of backspacing, you will be fine. your tires will sit just at about the edge of your fenders and, you shouldn't have any rubbing.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Does tire width play a factor in any of this? is there a limit to the tire width you would recommend? and no need for wheel spacers?

Also, i gotta say i love this site and all the videos posted here. This place fuels my jeep addiction! haha hopefully one day I'll be able to help instead of leach!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsmith
Does tire width play a factor in any of this? is there a limit to the tire width you would recommend? and no need for wheel spacers?

Also, i gotta say i love this site and all the videos posted here. This place fuels my jeep addiction! haha hopefully one day I'll be able to help instead of leach!
yes. but, typically, 33's only come in a 12.50 width and, at that, you should be fine.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may want to consider buying wheels with less backspacing if you even plan to lift your jeep to avoid running spacers or buying new wheels again
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys! I actually would like to eventually lift it but money is my limiting factor atm 33's made the most sense when I can't afford the regear - have 3.21's - and all the other stuff to do it up right.

This will work for now! haha

I'll post pics when they are on! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Another backspacing question...