Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another duratrac thread - annoyed!!!

Old 09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duratracs suck for balancing. Many GY tires are like that. Every GY I ever had needed repeat balancing. Fantastic treat pattern, weak sidewalls, uneven wear, and hard to balance. As the phrase goes, "Good for a Year".
Old 09-10-2014, 01:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Duratracs suck for balancing. Many GY tires are like that. Every GY I ever had needed repeat balancing. Fantastic treat pattern, weak sidewalls, uneven wear, and hard to balance. As the phrase goes, "Good for a Year".
I'm on my second set of Duratracs and have yet to experience a problem with balancing or uneven wear. Based on comments in other threads on Duratracs from satisfied owners, people experiencing either of these problems would seem to be outliers.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-10-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with my Duratracs!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:11 AM
JK Junkie

My took 2 try's to balance, luckily my brother works at discount tire
Old 09-10-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

well wheels and tires are all mass produced, as cheaply as possible, so bad units and even bad batches happen when the molds get old or the new ones are not up to spec. it is cheaper to replace a few defective units that go out then to keep quality control up.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I'm on my secoind set as well. I had my first set for almost 4 years and they wore very well. I only bought my second set because I wanted the next bigger size. Both sets have balanced well and have worn very well. I'm very satisfied with GY Duratracs.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my 315 duratracs..best tire i have ever had. I did get them road force balanced when i first got them due to reading threads about balancing issues. I bought them from Discount tire and there have been a couple of times where i had to go back the following day to get them rebalanced, but for the most part i just ALWAYS stress to them when i get rotations to double triple check the balancing as "in the past i have had to come back the next day and i really dont want to do that". Usually when i say that they put there more experienecd tech on my rig for the rotation and i have had very little issues.

Also, make sure to check your pressure. I have left there a couple times thinking my balance was off due to rough ride only to find that the aired me up to almost 40psi....dropped it down to 30-32psi and it rides great.

I just wish they were a little bit more true to size. They are bigger than some 35's, smaller than others. My buddies Trail Grappler 35x12.5's look like 37's compared to mine :( i still love them though, especially since mine is my DD.

...also, i do a 5 tire rotation every 5k miles and no issues with tread wear...they look and ride great.

Last edited by mpthompson84; 09-12-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Update: tire shop warrantied four of my five tires. Got new ones one the next day and balance with about half the weights. Rolling like a dream now. Two thumbs up to shop and Goodyear for hooking me up without a hassle.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good deal.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 PM
-

I would be more interested in the date code just to see how old these are.. I mean simply slapping a tire onto a rim and attempting to balance isn't easy.. and if it doesnt work.. I feel the emch should unmount and repossession the tire on the rim.. or at least there should be a way to check the rim for out of round before tires are place on them. This leads me to believe that buying tires online within a tire and rim package would benefit the buyer.. These tires and rims would be balanced and tested before leaving the retailer and delivered to your door and in this case.. if you still had trouble.. the retail you bought the tires from.. would be held accountable and would have to make amends.

Quick Reply: Another duratrac thread - annoyed!!!