Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another NMG question

Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another NMG question

Ok so my 35/12.50/R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers arrived today and in about an hour ill be putting them on. Seems as if everyon has there own opinion on PSI. This is my DD as well as my daily offroad toy (i almost always air down off road). As i wouldnt mind keeping a smooth ride what psi should i run?

I have aftermarket front and rear bumpers winches and all 8 flex arms, i weigh in at about 4600 with me and the ol' lady. These tires are psi rated for a 8000lb truck so im lost..

I also got cracked for asking this question because i assured her when making the purchase they would handle better then my A/T's...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's going to depend on how your rig is set up, how much it weighs, etc. but I would advise 30 psi as a good starting point. You can then do a chalk test from there. I think you will find most guys running in the mid-20s to mid-30s range.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by afpilot82
It's going to depend on how your rig is set up, how much it weighs, etc. but I would advise 30 psi as a good starting point. You can then do a chalk test from there. I think you will find most guys running in the mid-20s to mid-30s range.
As i stated "4600"..

On the other hand thanks for the input! i think ill run 28 at first. Seems as if others bounce anywhere from 26-32psi
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz

As i stated "4600"..

On the other hand thanks for the input! i think ill run 28 at first. Seems as if others bounce anywhere from 26-32psi
Here is how I determine on road pressure.

First use the following formula to get a good starting value. I got this formula from the forum a couple years ago.

V = Gross Vehicle Weight including passengers and gear
M = Max PSI of tire
L = Max load of tire
P = Starting PSI

((V * .35) / L) * M = P

In your case with these tires this is:
((4600 * .35) / 3640) * 65 = 28.75 PSI

You then chalk test and adjust as necessary. These have stiff sidewalls so my guess is you will be more like 26 or 27.

I increase PSI when I'm carrying more gear and/or people using the same formula and then adding the difference from my chalk test. This seems to work well for me and my tires wear properly and the ride is on the softer side.

Good luck with your dialing this in.

Gary T

Quick Reply: Another NMG question