Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another re-gearing ?... Bla bla bla

Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another re-gearing ?... Bla bla bla

Im about to regear im gonna order the gears and the other stuff i need in order to re gear before i actually have them installed so i dont have to dish out a huge amount of money all at one time. Im ordering all the parts online so my question is. What exactly do i need to regear im going 4.56, ive read that i would need a carrier for my front diff? i have an 07 2 dr 3" lift on 35's stock dana 30 up front stock 44 in the back everything else stock thanks for the help guys... Im also looking for suggestions in what brands and where to order from.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you currently have 3.21 gears, yes, you will want a new d30 carrier. If you currently have 3.73 or 4.10 gears, no, you will not need a new d30 carrier. If you do need a new carrier, you have a choice of another open carrier, or some type of full case locker/limited. (not a lunchbox locker, but a full case unit like a TrueTrac/Detroit/ARB/etc).

You will want master/overhaul kits. These kits are more expensive, but they include new bearings, which is probably a good thing with your 7 year old axles.

Northridge and 4WS.com are fairly popular for gearing purchases, but any of the sites sponsors would be happy to help you out if you contact them.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

master in stall kits for each axle, if you have 3:21 gears you'll need new carrier for front.
You could go with another open carrier that will work with new gears or a LSD, or a selectable
Locker for carrier. Just depends on moony you want to spend..
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Why are you going to 4.56 and where did you get that info to run those

At minimum you should be 4.88 , but. 5.13 is where you really want to have
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Why are you going to 4.56 and where did you get that info to run those

At minimum you should be 4.88 , but. 5.13 is where you really want to have
The guy at north ridge4x4 when i called said i should go 4.88 with 35s just wondering what is the best answer, it seems that every other person you ask will say 4.88 or 5.13. Question is what is the right answer?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are about a gajillion other threads on gearing. The best answer for 'your' needs is ... haven't got a clue, because we have zero info. Auto or manual? Where do you live, what kind of roads do you frequent, mostly in town or offroad, or lots of high speed freeway, very light rig, or heavy with lots of armor and gear, any plans at all of going past 35's, etc, etc, etc

You might start with the faq's at the top of this modified area. Measure your tires (measured, not mfg spec), scroll down to the rpm charts and plug some numbers in. That gives you the basic rpm's you will be at, but does not factor in all of the variables. Just a good place to start.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3094387384.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	580808
Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

I ran 4:88 with my 35's on a 2 door 6 speed. It was great. I'm going 4:56 this time around on my 07 6 speed becasue this will mainly be a pavement princess.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

OP I would go with 5.13's for sure if your auto, I daily mine 30 miles one way to work everyday with 35's and 5.13's and it is just about perfect, works well in the little offroading I have had a chance to do with it so far, and will run 80mph all day long and get about 14.5 mpg doing it better if I slow down. also I feel like I could still go up to 37's and be ok with the gears in mine, which is exactly what I plan to do when its time for tires again.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Ive looked at the charts and other write ups multiple times and thats y i decided to go 4.56 i have a manual sorry forgot to include that but thanks ill look into those sites and ordering them up soon .........and i have another question thought i would have to replace the carrier for the dana 30 so should i just get a locker while im at it? Would that be weird just having a locking diff up front and an open diff in the back?? or does it not matter cause i no if u have a 4wd and ur using tire chains its better to put the chains up front. would this be the same... Ive read it somewhere to think about it like a cats claws on a carpet. I no i definitly have to be careful not to leave them locked when theyre not sposed to be while turning

Quick Reply: Another re-gearing ?... Bla bla bla