Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another tire thread - but different

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RooX
... A proper AT or winter tire will significantly cut down on stopping times as well as slippage on turning... a real winter/ice tire will have FAR more siping as well as compounds that are meant to bite into ice (rubber/silica studs). AT's are definatly better in true winter conditions, but not as good as winter tires.
Question for you, RooX: I understand that the BFG All-Terrain has a "severe snow tire grading". :
"On February 1, 1999 the Rubber Manufacturer's Association (RMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) introduced a winter tire grading. These tires are specifically designed for severe snow conditions and meet snow traction performance requirements. Tires meeting this standard are marked with a pictograph of a peaked mountain. This standard helps drivers choose a tire that will help make their winter driving safer."
Are you able to tell us how this particular tire would be different than a dedicated winter tire vis-a-vis rubber compounds?

Just curious... trying to ferret out as much info. as possible before committing to the purchase.

Thx,
Adam
Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nachoninja
Well see, I was exageratting when I was saying I'd be going 65 in black ice conditions, but not by much. i live in calgary, Alberta, Canada and in the winters sometimes there are long stretches of cold where the roads may look fine but they really aren't. However traffic still flows pretty good because people are used to it, and I don't want to be slipping and sliding all over the place.

Anyways, back to the original subject, has anyone found an all-terrain tire that's not smaller than the stocks but won't rub?
Hey Nachoninja... I'm in Calgary, too! I've been talking to Andrew at KalTire (off Macleod, essentially in the Chinook parking lot)... he's an excellent resource, and has even gone so far as to join the various JK fora just so that he can get a grip on what works on the JK and what doesn't... you'll find that he's very willing to work with you to find the right tire (and lift or leveling kit or whatever...) to meet your needs...
Old 03-12-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey TwinsJeep, thanks! I'll definitely go there when my Jeep gets here. That was one of my concerns, that the guys at the tire places wouldn't have a clue what would fit and what wouldn't. That makes it a lot easier.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey TwinsJeep, thanks! I'll definitely go there when my Jeep gets here. That was one of my concerns, that the guys at the tire places wouldn't have a clue what would fit and what wouldn't. That makes it a lot easier.
I've been waiting for my black Sahara Unlimited since posting my order on December 15th! At this point, I'm almost relieved and don't mind waiting until the gravel's cleared... next question: if it arrives in March, do I put on the soft-top right away or do I wait until after the inevitable May long weekend snow storm? Did you get the 2dr or 4dr? We ought to connect once one of us has taken delivery... keep in touch
Old 03-12-2007, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Fellow Calgarian as well And speaking of Kal-Tire, i once worked with Andrew and he is a great guy. Knows his stuff.

Yeah the severe snow tire rating basically means its as good as it gets on snow and ice. Within the rating there will be better and worse tires for conditions, but all must meet the minimums, which compared to all-seasons and mud tires are far far more rigorous. The AT KO's (the latest versions) are supposed to be great all round tires, although they will not like mud too much do to the tighter spacing of lugs. I havent personally tried them yet though. Thinking about it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=RooX;44332]Fellow Calgarian as well And speaking of Kal-Tire, i once worked with Andrew and he is a great guy. Knows his stuff.
QUOTE]

Man, what are the odds? Three Calgarians in one thread... I suppose I'm beginning to feel encouraged that we might actually be able to set up a local JK club!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

with the amount of JK's i see around town, i can't imagine it would be much of a problem.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwinsJeep
I've been waiting for my black Sahara Unlimited since posting my order on December 15th! At this point, I'm almost relieved and don't mind waiting until the gravel's cleared... next question: if it arrives in March, do I put on the soft-top right away or do I wait until after the inevitable May long weekend snow storm? Did you get the 2dr or 4dr? We ought to connect once one of us has taken delivery... keep in touch

I'm probably going to wait until June or so to put the soft top on (assuming the jeep is here by then), i imagine it's not a quick process to switch them over and I only want to do it once until the fall. I got the 4dr, even though I like the looks of the 2dr better I just wanted the extra room to throw stuff in there. Are you planning any sort of in depth mods? I want to keep it fairly stock initially but I have a feeling that won't last too long. However I don't want that huge monster truck look that some people have.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

... I got the 4dr, even though I like the looks of the 2dr better I just wanted the extra room to throw stuff in there. Are you planning any sort of in depth mods? I want to keep it fairly stock initially but I have a feeling that won't last too long. However I don't want that huge monster truck look that some people have.
I've got a 4dr on the way, too. As for mods, I'd like to level out the front end to gain enough room to put on a set of 285/65 18 BFG All Terrain T/A KOs. I'm not interested in gaining height at the expense of on-road manners and performance, and I don't want to compromise any of the various systems that, to date, cannot properly be re-calibrated for modifications.

As for tires, I was considering a set of Dick Cepek FC-II, but have more-less decided against them for two reasons: first, given Calgary weather/roads (take today, for example) I would prefer a tire with a severe weather rating that, combined with additional siping ought to make it perfect all year here in Calgary; second, the Cepeks are much wider in a 33" or near 33" than the BFGs, which would mean that I would have to buy a new set of wheels. The smallest 18 in the DC-FCII is a 325/60 18 (33x13.5); compare that with the BFG 285/65 18 at 32.6x11.2, or even a BFG 305/65 18 at 33.6x12. I understand that the stock 18x7.5" Sahara wheels would work with either of the BFGs I've described, but would be too narrow for the Cepeks.

Other than tires, I'm considering a CAI and cat-back exhaust, or possibly just a CAI and new Flowmaster muffler. I was reading earlier on another thread here that a CAI/Flowmaster muffler combination might be preferable to a CAI/cat-back system. My understanding is that modifying the air intake/exhaust system will (or probably will) improve, first, power performance, second, fuel efficiency, and third, the sound of the engine.

Finally, I'll put on the "diamond plate" black plastic door sills (front and rear), slush mats (front and rear), and a dash kit. I was looking at the Jeep dash kits, but then someone here posted a link to a less-expensive but higher quality product with greater variety and superior materials... I don't have the link handy; it's not on my work computer. And that will get me thru year-1.

I really like the look of the AEV and Fab-Four bumpers, but I don't need a winch at this point in time and therefore a new bumper would be purely (unjustifiably) cosmetic. While I anticipate getting out to Maclean Creek for some mild dirt trails regularly in the summer, I don't have the time to make the long drives out to the serious trails that might otherwise justify a winch. So, until my lifestyle and needs change and a winch would become a weekly necessity, I just can't justify the expense of putting on a new winch bumper.

How 'bout you?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, originally I wanted to put on the BFGoodrich A/T KO in 285 70R17 but it seems that they will rub some without wheel spacers which I'm not so sure about. I don't want to go any smaller than stock tires but because of how thin the tires are on the Wrangler that seems to be fairly difficult right now. I like the look of a very small lift to also fit these tires better, but again, I don't know enough about lifts to have made up my mind quite yet. i do like the look of those Shrockworks rock rails, i might end up putting those on instead of the factory rock rails. I would also like to put on some steel bumpers
front and back because I hate how a 1 km/h bump into a pole turns into $1000 damage on the plastic front bumper on my current Tacoma. None of the bumpers I've seen yet have really struck a chord with me yet though. I might put a winch on eventually because I feel the urge to drive all the way up the Ghost river to the mountains. I've seen a decked out original Hummer going this a few times but I've always been too scared to do it in case I get stuck up there.

I'm going to have to put some mud flaps on because the rubi has no side steps to block all the rocks from chipping the paint on the doors. I like the look of the molded ones you can get from Jeep but I have a feeling they won't be flexible enough.

I really have no concrete plans yet though, have to wait to see what comes around.

What are these diamond plate door sills you speak of?

Quick Reply: Another tire thread - but different