Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any 2dr jeeps with 3" lift and factory drive shaft..?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running a 3.5" Skyjacker with 3/4" spacers in the front on a 6 speed. At the time of the lift I also installed 17" wheels (w/5" of backspacing) wearing 35"s. I have only put on about 1200 miles since the install and have not had any problems with either driveshaft, rubbing, or any other suspension related issues (yet).

I did have a conversation with a rep from Skyjacker about the concerns with the driveshafts and he said that with my setup I am very "...borderline. Going any higher would almost definitely cause drivetrain issues". The stock shafts are made with Rzeppa CV joints. Here's some info on this type of joint:

"...The problem with the Rzeppa-style driveshafts is that they cannot stand up to the stresses of torque load at angles different from what the factory designed them for. This is especially true if the suspension is flexing and articulating off-highway. There is only about 3/4 inch of movement from the center of the Rzeppa joint (shaft) to the edge of its housing before the shaft makes contact. When the vehicle is lifted, articulated, and flexed, the shaft in the factory CV joint will make contact with the housing and start cutting into the retainer strap, rubber boots, and seals..."

Obviously this is not a good thing. I will be trading out my driveshafts as soon as I can. Until then I will be watching them closely.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Junkie

I jinxed myself!!!!! I didnt have any problems until I posted on this thread I looked under my jeep and this is what I saw
Front

Rear
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 10,000 miles on a 4" lift and I'm just changing the driveshafts now. I was getting tinging noises from the driveline when I wheeled it hard and my driveshafts where just starting to throw greese.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paulp575
I think you have the same setup I'm thinking about and have some of questions!!

When you went with 35" tires, did you have to get rims with more backspacing.

According to what I had read, in 2007 they said you could go with the 2.5" BB and 35s without any issues. Then in 2008 they said not so fast. You need to get wheels with 1/4" or 3/8" additional backspacing to eliminate rubbing issues. Unfortunately I do not remember where I read this.

Which rims did you end up buying?
How much actual lift did the 2.5BB give you?
Since you have the 6-speed and I have an automatic, do you think there would be any differences in drive shaft angles, especially in the front?

Thanks,
Yes differant rims, Cragar 345 steel wheels with 4.5 backspace. stocks are 6.25
the TF 2.5 BB gave me 2.5" then i added 4 Dr unlimited Rubi springs that added an other inch before adding all my stuff. The ONLY reason why i added the springs wasto make up for the 30x36 box full of stuff in the back and added weight of protection stuff.

I have no idea on the drive shaft differances. If the auto is longer then your would have to worry about your rear drive shaft and if the auto is shorter then you would have worry about the front one.

Let me know if you want to get together some time.

Kat
Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Any 2dr jeeps with 3" lift and factory drive shaft..?

Originally Posted by jkkat
Let me know if you want to get together some time.Kat
Unfortunately I do not get over to the west side of the state, but if you are looking for some different wheeling and no crowds, come on over to the east side here in Spokane!

Quick Reply: Any 2dr jeeps with 3" lift and factory drive shaft..?