Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any negatives with using wheel spacers

Old 10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any negatives with using wheel spacers

Have you guys heard of any issues with using wheel spacers/Lug pattern converters? It just seems that with all the torque at that point on the axle, that having bolts bolted to bolts would be a week link. I have had a mechanic tell me not to do it. It sounds like a lot of guys on the forum do it with no problems.

Reason for my question? I am thinking about putting the stock Rubicon 32" tires and wheels on my son's stock TJ X. I would have to find a spacer to convert the lug pattern and add a budget boost. It seems like a good way to make good use of those nice tires/wheels and help me justify replacing the ones on my Jeep? Any thoughts? Would he need to regear though?:confused: Not sure what comes on the stock 06 X. His driving is mainly to school etc., no offroad for now.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as they are installed to the proper torque and with the proper loctite, they should be fine for most applications, especially if not going offroad much.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wheel spacers are fine. I had run them on my TJ for a couple of years and without any problems before I got new wheels. As mentioned, just make sure to torque the lug nuts properly and then re-torque them again after about 50-100 miles. For extra security, red lock tite will hold things down well.

Oh, almost forgot, with 32's you should be fine without regearing

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-12-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

The reason that mechanics tell you not to is the added amount of stress on the hub bearings. Supposed to wear out quicker.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Don-A-Vee
The reason that mechanics tell you not to is the added amount of stress on the hub bearings. Supposed to wear out quicker.
Not any differently than would a wheel with less backspacing though.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your right, both positive and negative offset will put added stress on the bearings.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

really? well I posted what I plan on getting (as far as rims) on the 'what kinda wheels you going with' poll (which noone has responded to:sad: ) and am not sure if those rims are negative or positive backspacing...Is it really bad if so? I mean would I need to get new ball bearings every 2yrs or what's the defenition of "added stress" translate into $$$??
thanks!
Old 10-12-2006, 01:39 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by J. Ward
really? well I posted what I plan on getting (as far as rims) on the 'what kinda wheels you going with' poll (which noone has responded to:sad: ) and am not sure if those rims are negative or positive backspacing...Is it really bad if so? I mean would I need to get new ball bearings every 2yrs or what's the defenition of "added stress" translate into $$$??
thanks!
Naw. I think the point I was trying to make is that it really doesn't make that much of a difference and if the best argument for not installing wheel spacers/adapters is because of the potential wear they will cause to your bearings, you might as well not install any aftermarket wheel with less backspacing.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi

If the new JK backspacing is 6.5" and I beleive the 06 TJ is around 5.5" the 1" spacer/wheel adapter should be fine, correct? Even with the slightly wider 10" Rubicon tires.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi

:o I take that back, the JK is 6.25" . 1" spacer would probably still be OK??

Quick Reply: Any negatives with using wheel spacers