Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone do a 3.8 stroker kit?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the upper end loss? Can't just be from high revs...
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
The 3.8 is pretty much stroked from the factory. You will need forced induction or more displacement like a hemi for more power
x2 on this. Welcome to altitude. And Forced Induction is really the only answer up here. More volume in the combustion chamber just means its got to find that much more air. BTW.... Turbos love it up here.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DocFuller
Why the upper end loss? Can't just be from high revs...
Because this engine is really well designed... like .9 hp per cube on a pushrod v6. Your not gonna find any more power IMO. Maybe move the powerband around, thats about it.

I would go positive displacement or turbo. A pair or IHIs where the battery is would be sweeeeeeeeeet.I so wish i still had my T70 from my 3kGT... :evil:
Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig

x2 on this. Welcome to altitude. And Forced Induction is really the only answer up here. More volume in the combustion chamber just means its got to find that much more air. BTW.... Turbos love it up here.
I pesonally disagree with a hemi swap. Forced i duction is way lighter and easier to work on... check out the guy rolling 39s with a $4 sprintex/spinex? Kit. Thats the direction Id go.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin

I pesonally disagree with a hemi swap. Forced i duction is way lighter and easier to work on... check out the guy rolling 39s with a $4 sprintex/spinex? Kit. Thats the direction Id go.
So you would rather have an oil burning 3.8 or a 3.6 with bad heads? The hemi is a much better motor. But yes forced induction is much more cost effective
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

So you would rather have an oil burning 3.8 or a 3.6 with bad heads? The hemi is a much better motor. But yes forced induction is much more cost effective
My 3.8 doesnt burn oil. At 110k miles its running as good as it ever did...
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo much better than a super charger if your going that route
Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

... and MOST of the 3.8s were fine on oil consumption. The new breed of Jeeper is just more active on the forums when persuing any answer besides what the stealership or warranty trolls tell them.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKingAround
Turbo much better than a super charger if your going that route
They can be built for low end performance, and i am a turbo guy for sure- but if it is DD or krawler you will better served by a twin screw, positivebdisplacement blower imo.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
... and MOST of the 3.8s were fine on oil consumption. The new breed of Jeeper is just more active on the forums when persuing any answer besides what the stealership or warranty trolls tell them.
Actually you are wrong. There are a large number of these motors consuming oil, with more showing up every day. It is a known and common problem with these motors. Of course Chrysler and the dealerships don't want us to know the extent of the issue. I'm glad you haven't had issues with yours, but many including myself have. As far as the original post, I personally wouldn't waste a dime on this motor trying to modify it internally

Quick Reply: anyone do a 3.8 stroker kit?