Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know why Goodyear has a tire shortage?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried to order Safari TSR's about a month ago. No go. GY dealer said there is no slated production date over the next 6 months. Went for the Duratracs and they were only a day or two out. So far, I love them....but haven't trail run them yet....I'm sure they'll be fine
Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Just a follow up...GY store said they don't even have plans for production on these two tires until August and September. By the way...that includes the 33's as well.

Fatalis

Last edited by Fatalis; 06-03-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my nittos from firestone they where out all over the US they found one set of four in Chicago and I had to pay for them to ship them! But yeah try discount tire they always have a lot in stock and you get forum discounts
Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

One other thing that hasn't been said about the shortages... this happens more often than we realize in the tire industry. As was stated before, this has to do with expected sales over the period between runs. They manufacture large runs of one size all at once due to the molds. Swapping them out to only run a few tires at a time would be expensive and time consuming. So they run large production runs a couple of times per year more or less depending on the popularity of the size and type. Rubber is a natural that begins to break down as soon as it comes out of the mold. While keeping them out of the sun and weather will slow this process, having them sit in a warehouse is expensive and leads to waste of unsold tires that have deteriorated. While a 5 year old warehouse tire will look good when it is installed, it will age much faster than a freshly cured tire will resulting in an unhappy customer that doesn't understand why his tires didn't last long at all. The same has to be said when somebody asks for forum opinions about the life of a particular tire. The answers will vary based on the driving habits, vehicle weight, air pressure, storage, amount of sun, driving on salted roads etc...
Fresh tires at low prices are the goal of manufactures and consumers. This sometimes comes with occasional shortages especially on sizes and types outside of what the OEMs use. The Duratrac is a prime example. Originally designed as a commercial leaning light truck tire, the demand among Jeepers and other light 4 wheelers eventually brought about a C load rated 285/70R17. The size was in high enough demand and had a wide enough range of vehicle fitments to justify the manufacture. That being said they still only make runs of them a few times of year. I would be willing to bet that a 235/75R15 could be found at almost any given time due to its sheer popularity and shorter duration between runs... but who would want that on a JK?

TLDR: Rubber compound in tires begin to break down as soon as they are made so long term storage before purchase is bad.

Quick Reply: Anyone know why Goodyear has a tire shortage?