Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone regret hacking the flenders???

Old 06-19-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a set already chopped from the Freebies section, now I switch back and forth when ever the mood strikes me!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RDY4RKS
I am in the same boat as you. I want to do the chop, but don't want to be stuck with it if I don't like it. So I am picking up a set of take offs from another member who went to flat fenders. This way I can do the chop and go back to stock if I don't like it.
I cant believe I heard you of all people say this.....

no regrets - chop away!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
Also what did some of you use to cut them with?
I tried every tool imaginable during cutting all four fenders, here's my tips

- I didnt see a reason to take the fenders off to cut them. When still on the Jeep they're supported and you can better see the cut lines you like.

- Best tool was an Angle Grinder with a thin 1/8 inch metal/ceramic cut-off wheel for slicing cleanly through. The plastic fenders are pretty thick and a dremel doesn't havnt enough oomph and a jigsaw cannot be well-controlled for a clean cut. Wear gloves, the angle grinder melts the plastic as it cuts through the line. I used a small hacksaw instead of grinder to cut through the plastic when near metalwork.

- Apply masking tape along the entire line of the fender including the radius and angles you'll be cutting. It's tempting to cut using sight only but tape will ensure straight lines and stop you hacking too much. My only regret is I hacked a little too much from one rear inner fender (I kept the inner pants to keep out rain and winter slush).

- Cut off the vertical overhanging plastic first and the bulky parts of inner fenders, then slice along your tape line for final cut. I kept the entire horizontal part of fender (keeping the radiused edge to retain fender strength) and sliced off the vertical part, and my tires still stick-out 2inches. Others have sliced the horizontal part much skinnier, but I'd guess their's bend and flex more at highway speed.

- Use a cheap heat-gun to melt the glue on the inside of the door-edge beading as you apply it. If the beading comes off later, add Gorilla glue. The beading does contract when hot (from heat gun or sun) and will then pop off the fender at the angles, so dont' stretch it to fit.

- WOL's write-up is excellent, much more detail than I wrote above.....
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RDY4RKS
I am in the same boat as you. I want to do the chop, but don't want to be stuck with it if I don't like it. So I am picking up a set of take offs from another member who went to flat fenders. This way I can do the chop and go back to stock if I don't like it.
Aha! And you said you weren't going to chop I knew the idea would grow on you

I want to do mine soon as well, but not until after I upgrade my tires to 37s which will be very soon. Hopefully before the end of the month

I plan to do a Crash version chop Need to keep the flow of my ARB front bumper.

Besides, if you change your mind the stock flares are cheap. Its not like if you were to chop a set of Bushwackers
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... I didn't want to do it at first either. I thought "who would chop up a new jeep". now I cannot stop thinking about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Chop away!!!!! It is the cheapest mod on my JEEP and probably the best. No more rubbing! I also did both bumpers. Lots of room when fully articulated. Here are some pics.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

I drive on dirt roads that are sprayed with magnesium chloride. The mud from that turns to concrete under my fenders. Does the fender hack help keep that crap from building up?

Also does the hacked fender flap in high speeds?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

I love my chopped fenders!!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's hard to commit!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Jedi

that is it!!!! Im sold. I am gonna do the front like JK marine, the width of planmans (when he has a chance to measure) and the taper like the planmans. I like the flat front on yours JKmarine. Great work. After I chop I am pulling out my bumpstops. Those 35s are gonna mega stuff.

Quick Reply: anyone regret hacking the flenders???